Time to Reveal My Diabolical Plans - Opinions From All

LXSC

Alas my T-bird will be off the road for a good year until I can come up with a new engine. So my mind turns to performance. Needless to say I'm workin' with an LX w/ a rebuilt AOD (to be swapped in the far future) as well as a 7.5" rear so my plans needed to take this in to account. I am aiming to have my car on the road by next year as the truck I drive now (A 5.9 L Magnum, foot does down = gas gauge needle goes down) is a beast and I love my car.
Now for my outrageous plan. Budget = $7,000-7,500 CDN ($4,900-5,250 US roughly) between now and next summer. For now, there are no hp expectations for an NA block but having at least 150-170 would be nice. Eventually I'd like to get up to 400-500 hp. I have an SC engine however I'm no interested in the supercharger or anything. For now I'm wanting to make a 4.2 L stroker NA until I can afford a new tranny, rear-end, etc. for forced induction. This would include the following:

Morana
- 4.2 L forged internals (forged crank, pistons, rods, but if I want pistons for forced induction, would they work with a NA setup as well?)
- head bolts
- 5 angle heads w/ Crane springs and larger valves (What is the advantage of 5 angle over 3? I hear 5 so I figure it's better but I don't wanna waste my money)
- windage tray and stud girdle combo
- double rolling timing chain (Do I really need this?)
- metal head gaskets (3 layer) for future need

Super Six Motorsports
- SSX intake (a lot of intake for an NA but should be OK until it can be utilized using forced induction, and DAMN it looks awesome under the hood)

Lower Intake ported (from a 3.8 L NA)
Block, bored, honed and refinished
New Parts where necessary with some carry over from the SC as well as the old 3.8 L NA

So what does everyone think? Dish out your opinions now. Good, bad, I want them all. And while you're at it, take a look at these questions:

Can my 19 lb injectors be used in this combo?
Can my a 93 computer (Needed as 90's did not have MAF) with stock programing be used for a 4.2 L?
I've been led to believe that the 3.8 L NA lower intake can be mounted to an SC block (diagrams and everything seem to back this), is this the case?
Will the stock SC cam be OK for an NA setup?
Any other possible problems, concerns, or things to keep in mind?

Thanks for all who can offer there assistance, help, wisdom, commentary, or banter.

A Little More To It

Oh yeah, why my obsession with the Ford V6? Two reasons: Gas and to be different. Now unless you can run a V8 (up to 5.0 L) at least 500 km on 65 litres I'm not crazy about it (87 Octane). I like the environment and my plan is that this crazy engine I have in mind will stay with me for the next 10 years of my life (though I'm sure the car I'm puttin' it in now won't). I might still consider a V8 but only unless someone can convince me that a 5.0 setup can make at least 300 hp and be fuel efficient with the right programming and timing (like less fuel for day to day but w/ the ability to flick a switch and poor on more on the floor). I'm open to any suggestions as I've said. Heck I've even looked into findin' a 3.9 L V8 from a new T-bird but that brings up issues of compatibility, complexity, etc..
As for bring different, it's what I need for my car. It may be a plain ole' T-bird but with this engine (and another visual/functional idea I have), this one will stand out. It may not be sporty (forget the body kit) but it's a car and a fine *** one at that (or at least it will be).

A Little More To It

Oh yeah, why my obsession with the Ford V6? Two reasons: Gas and to be different. Now unless you can run a V8 (up to 5.0 L) at least 500 km on 65 litres I'm not crazy about it (87 Octane). I like the environment and my plan is that this crazy engine I have in mind will stay with me for the next 10 years of my life (though I'm sure the car I'm puttin' it in now won't). I might still consider a V8 but only unless someone can convince me that a 5.0 setup can make at least 300 hp and be fuel efficient with the right programming and timing (like less fuel for day to day but w/ the ability to flick a switch and poor on more on the floor). I'm open to any suggestions as I've said. Heck I've even looked into findin' a 3.9 L V8 from a new T-bird but that brings up issues of compatibility, complexity, etc..
As for bring different, it's what I need for my car. It may be a plain ole' T-bird but with this engine (and another visual/functional idea I have), this one will stand out. It may not be sporty (forget the body kit) but it's a car and a fine *** one at that (or at least it will be hopefully).

Might want to do some more research.....

I was looking into doing the 4.2L stroker kit for my 90 SC motor. I was very concerned that the 4.2L kit that was offered by Morana Racing was a cast crank.

I discovered that much to my dismay, there are no people that are producing a forged crank for the 4.2. You can get a Billet crank for a 4.2 but it is VERY VERRRRY pricey....like $2000 US. A forged crank was about double that......

Sorry to rain on that part of your parade.....

Back