You'd think installing a thermostat would be simple. but..

TbirdSCFan

The listing for the gasket they have is just plain wronnngg!. I had the guy at the counter just take the outlet back and look around and he brought out something close which I had to oval out one of the bolt holes slightly to get it lined up, then it worked perfect. Here's the P/N for anyone needing it: MCS 2135. I can't tell you what the list part number was.
So then, the replacement thermostat itself surely must be correct, right?.. of course not.. Had to twist and hammer and it finally seated, it was close enough to seat and seal, but not an exact fit. Oh well, at least it flowing coolant now before the fan kicks in and isn't leaking.

TbirdSCFan said:
The listing for the gasket they have is just plain wronnngg!. I had the guy at the counter just take the outlet back and look around and he brought out something close which I had to oval out one of the bolt holes slightly to get it lined up, then it worked perfect. Here's the P/N for anyone needing it: MCS 2135. I can't tell you what the list part number was.
So then, the replacement thermostat itself surely must be correct, right?.. of course not.. Had to twist and hammer and it finally seated, it was close enough to seat and seal, but not an exact fit. Oh well, at least it flowing coolant now before the fan kicks in and isn't leaking.

No one stocks the right housing gasket. No one. Not even Ford. I found that the best bet is to go to AZ and order about 5 of them for 1.99 ea. the felpro ones work perfect. (forgot the part #.)

As for a thermostat, I always use 350 chevy ones. They work perfect and they are always in stock. 5.0 uses the same thermostat also.

I can't even get t-stat gaskets from Auto Zone. I can get t-stats all day long (400-195, 400-180, 400-160) but the gasket for the SC we show as unavailable. There is a part number for it but you can't order it. I just make my own out of gasket paper and use an exacto knife to cut them out. I have a template made from the one in my head gasket set, so now I have like 40 of them just waiting to be cut out.

the store i work at (CarQuest) stocks the correct gasket for the sc. I've got two of them so far and they are leak free. Its a Victor brand gasket, not sure of the part number off the top of my head however.

Scott Long said:
I can't even get t-stat gaskets from Auto Zone. I can get t-stats all day long (400-195, 400-180, 400-160) but the gasket for the SC we show as unavailable. There is a part number for it but you can't order it. I just make my own out of gasket paper and use an exacto knife to cut them out. I have a template made from the one in my head gasket set, so now I have like 40 of them just waiting to be cut out.
Scott, you must be losing it. Go check again. I just ordered and picked up 3 from my AZ. They had them at a hub store.

If there is alot of coolant bypassing the the thermostat the car will take alot more time to go into closed loop (operating temp). While the car is in open loop(warm up) it will run richer. Worse MPG...

I always use Felpro t-stat gaskets also. My local Advanced Auto always has at least one in stock and the part # is 35459. Under that part # in smaller print it says "Future No. 10-1138". I don't know what thats all about.

Back