89 SC differential

achi

I know this has probably been covered a million times but.....

I am about to purchase a 1989 SC (at least I believe it to be one) as a parts car, body is completely rusted out. Can anyone give me any information on the differential. What should I be looking for that would confirm it is a limited slip or not. Do the '89 model differentials have the same reliability as the '92's.

Is the differential the same in all the years of the SC?

Any information would be greatly appreciated, as I am finalizing the deal this weekend.

Thanks for your help.
Achille

To find out if its a traclock look at the tag. If it says 327L that means its a 3.27 trac lock. Look for the L. They are all the same except auto 94-95 with trac assist. If its a 5 speed your looking to buy it usaly has 2.73`s. Open the case before you install it to make sure the gears are intact.

Is there any way to tell for sure, without looking at the tag. Would the VIN tell me anything about it. Or is the tag easy to see under the car?

achi said:
Is there any way to tell for sure, without looking at the tag. Would the VIN tell me anything about it. Or is the tag easy to see under the car?

Its very simple, all the 89-93 SCs have trac loc. If its a manual it has 2.73s, an auto would have 3.27s. Unless its been modified thats how it goes for all the 89-93 cars. I do not believe there were any design changes in the differential on any year SC. The only benefit a 92 diff will have is being newer (if you wanna swap the pumpkin from a auto to a manual tho you would get the better gearing).

Easy enough?

Back