I guess I killed my speedometer today

mcate

Installed my white gauge faces this afternoon, & now my speedometer doesn't work. The odometer & trip odometer still register, but the needle doesn't. Any ideas?

ur needle is stuck. i remember when i first installed mine, and started the car up to see em(they were reverse glows) i somehow didnt notice the tach not coming alive. i didnt notice it till i was driving down the street, when i also noticed i had no speedo. but i was already late for a date. lol. try movin the gauge face around or gluing it to the actual gauge to keep it from moving around. gl.

I took it apart right afterwards, & the needle spins freely. I originally thought it might be stuck, like maybe from when I painted it, but it's not. The speedo needle was the hardest one to pry off with the fork. It didn't want to come off. I'm thinking I must've screwed it up as I was removing it.

I had a problem the other day with my tach doign something similar, but it was all of a sudden. I was putting on my intake, and somehow the tack was stuck all the way over in the "pegged" position. Tried disconnecting battery, and no luck... I thought I may have bumped something in the engine compartment...

So I took the bezel and loosened a few of the clear plastic screws, then with a drinking straw I was able to flip it back around... Works fine now....

Weird...

I called a speedometer repair shop today, & they said it'll be approx $165 if he can repair it, & $285 if it has to be replaced. I just love it when I screw something up.

I check there every day. Always an 89-93 being parted out, but 94-95 stuff isn't nearly as common. Maybe I'll get lucky..........

Update: Took the car out at highway speed, & the speedo does register. But the needle doesn't start to move until around 30 mph. I took the speedo out again today & adjusted the needle to make sure that the mechanism is all the way counter clockwise, at the stop point, when the car is stopped. Same results, it doesn't start to register until around 30 mph or so. Time to take it in & get it calibrated?

Back