Still 10PSI Boost after Modified Exhaust

thewood

After reading through the forums I assumed that I was going to lose a psi or two of boost once I installed this new exhaust setup but my boost gage still show 10psi at WOT after the exhaust mods. Here's what was added:

Ported and Coated Manifolds from TBIRD88.
Highflow cats, pipes, and a magnaflow resonator.
Flowmaster Force II base Exhaust system.

For anybody thinking about doing their manifolds, be sure it's what you want becasue doing them is no easy task.

The remainder of the car is still stock.

Here's some .MOV files that I took with my Panasonic Palm Cam. Sorry about the file format but you have to have QuickTime to view. If you don't only the sound byte will play.

WOT AT 10psi
Small Tire Chirp
REV
MY HOME PAGE

Last edited:
hmm..

That is kind of strange. My car would would hit 10-11 instantly when it was stock and climb to about 12. I have never seen an SC have to climb into the double digits for boost. After my pulley im pushing about anywhere from 13-14.5ish depending on weather conditions.

From what I understand the stock gauge isn't very accurate to begin with. Not to mention every car is affected differently, and obviuosly your car seems to be on the lower side in terms of boost (which isn't necessarily bad). So you may notice not as much of a drop as say someone who was pushing 12 PSI.

Not to mention when I first did my exhaust system, I still hit my max PSI (same as before exhaust) but it was much harder to do it, the temperature had to be colder, and sometimes took longer.

I would put an intake on that car, you will LOVE the blower whine, and then a pulley if you chose to.

10-12 psi (assuming the stock gauge is probably off a bit) is about right for a mostly stock sc with exhaust. sounds nice ;)

91BLOWNSC said:
That is kind of strange. My car would would hit 10-11 instantly when it was stock and climb to about 12. I have never seen an SC have to climb into the double digits for boost. After my pulley im pushing about anywhere from 13-14.5ish depending on weather conditions.

From what I understand the stock gauge isn't very accurate to begin with. Not to mention every car is affected differently, and obviuosly your car seems to be on the lower side in terms of boost (which isn't necessarily bad). So you may notice not as much of a drop as say someone who was pushing 12 PSI.

Not to mention when I first did my exhaust system, I still hit my max PSI (same as before exhaust) but it was much harder to do it, the temperature had to be colder, and sometimes took longer.

I would put an intake on that car, you will LOVE the blower whine, and then a pulley if you chose to.

Really I've heard it both ways. I hit about 8-9 and it then climbs to 10-11 depending on how warm it is outside. I pressure tested my intake system and soaped it all up but I can't find any leaks although I can hear air moving throughout the system. I'm far from an expert here so there could be a boost leak that I can see.
Replacing intake parts is my next project and is going to wait until spring becasue I have a yard full of trees that need to be removed before winter. Just wondering what would be the best way to start. I'm looking at a cold air induction, 70-75mm throttle body, a raised top, cooling fan, and 5% pulley.

Back