removing heads again....

Brad94SC

so, I am in the process of doing the head gaskets again as i am getting exhaust gasses in the cooling system. I had planned on a full rebuild but couldnt put together the $$$ to make it happen, so i am hoping the a top end rebuild will take care of the problem.

has anyone had any problems with cracked head/block? what are the chances I am just wasting my money by just replacing the head gaskets? I am just assuming that the gaskets are faulty, or were installed wrong the first time around (which was in february) I had the heads pressure checked when I had them off the last time and they checked out fine..... im just worried that all this work will be for nothing once again....

guess there is only one way to find out :|

What head bolts did you use....if you reused originals thats a big problem..If you used new original type they need to be torqued down in a special manner....

Both of these problems will lead to gasket fasilure very quick

Get ARP bolts or studs this time if you havnt already

Sounds like you had it done the first time, but have them pressure checked at a good shop. Took my shop two times to find a very small head crack. They did the second test at a higher pressure on their own to double check and found a super small crack under a valve seat. Machined flat, ARP head studs and be very anal about getting and keeping the block and head mating surface clean /free of oil, dirt…. Used lacquer thinner as a final clean. Double-check your toque of your head studs. Take it slow. Just my 2cents worth. :D

The most common place I have seen them crack is just below the exhaust ports on the outside from spark plug to spark plug hole. Real hard to see but if the motor has been overheated and I dont know why but it happends on mostly 94-95 heads as my machine shop will a attest. Get some ARP chevy ones. part # do a search on ARP to find the ones that fit as you can save $50 bucks and some Felpro head gaskets and you should be good to go unless the rare instance that your block needs to be redecked becouse of warpage. Keep that oil changed at close intervals and the bottom end should last a long time. :)

last time they were done I had the heads cleaned, pressure tested and machined, I used ARP head studs and Fel-Pro gaskets....

got approval on the loan today tho, so Im just gonna bite the bullet and get a full re-build :D

After headgaskets don't work

Brad94SC said:
last time they were done I had the heads cleaned, pressure tested and machined, I used ARP head studs and Fel-Pro gaskets....

After we did the gaskets in my 95 twice and still had problems, we believe the excessive blow-by is giving me different probs so I'm going for a block rebuild & upgrade. As far as the heads, if you have any further doubts, rule out the problem by getting a set of rebuilts from a reputable source. And use Fel-pro and new studs!

Back