Stupid Drive Shaft Question

OzzManG149

Does the 89-93 Model have a drive shaft would be similiar to a half shaft? a guy I was talking to another forum swears tha have a half shaft for a drive shaft?

The 89-97 Thunderbirds and Cougars have a driveshaft and two halfshafts (because they have an independent rear suspension). The driveshaft connects the transmission to the rear differential. Each halfshaft connects the rear differential to one rear wheel hub.

I know my self that SC's have a full lenght driveshaft but this guy on another forum is saying that the 89-93 has a half shaft for a driveline.. Here is a qoute in the post and ill also post the link also..

By the way, if you really want to piss off someone who owns a superchicken challenge them to a top end drag...but only if you can do better than about 150 mph, don't know what you have to do to a Cavalier to get it up to 150, but everyone who owns a Supercoupe KNOWS its a top end car, they do 90 at 2000 RPMs and 150 at 3000 RPMs with moderate boost (5 psi or so) and it doesn't actually need fifth gear to do 150....at least that's all true of my 5 speed. So anyway, if you smoke a Superchicken top end you're going to surprise the hell out of whoever owns it and probably piss him off a lot, you might as well put some money on it too if you know your car will do it, just to add insult to injury

One more thing...5 speed chickens are way more dangerous than an automatic, more so than most cars, since the 5 speed only has a halfshaft instead of a full length tranny that bends under high RPMs they can rev to 6200 instead of a the automatics 5000 or so, also the 5 speed models have NO TOP SPEED LIMITER and better rear end gears. just a word of warning to the wise

Heres the link

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=43&i=28294&t=27445&start=75

the guys nuts lol

one piece drive shaft connecting to a differential(third member) and two shafts off either side going to hub assy. just like the vettes.
vetteman :cool:
P.S. And if the drive shaft bent or even spins non concentrically the car will vibrate off the road ,things would fall outa the dash that he aint never seen before lmao.

Last edited:
Here is a qoute from the same guy. I posted that If you wanted to get rid of the crappy driveshaft ot get one out of a Mark VIII (94-95 Model Only)..

Ok, I am not here to start a flame war or to disrespect cavaliers, but I would like to see the Thunderbird SC get it's proper respect, and I would like to see any J-body that beat one get it's dues too. Here's a little bit of background and info that seems like it might be relevant, I will just throw it out there for you guys...

First off let me say that I have owned TWO cavaliers, both 1992 models with the 2.2 and I rebuilt one from the frame up with the second one (I bought it for 100 bucks ) and in addition to knowing what the average cavalier is capable of, I have driven one daily in many conditions....also a friend of mine has a 1990 Z24 with extensive mods 3.1 v6, auto tranny, that is respectable, not the fastest thing ever...but the fastest cavvy I am aware of locally. In addition to that my neighbor has a 1995 Sunfire with a 5 speed that I am constantly servicing and driving around, no I am not unqualified to talk about Cavaliers. in fact I enjoy this website immensely because you guys are devoted to them.

Next, as to the argument for altitude changing run times and car performance, it's absolutely correct, in fact when you run a supercharger, even the air temperature must be considered day to day, in addition to that Thunderbird SC superchargers are supposed to boost at 12 psi stock at 15.5k RPM's. Which brings me to my next point...

Not all of them are, I don't know HOW widespread boost leaks are, but as a car gets older and things get rebuilt and serviced, it just happens. I know of a guy who was beating all kinds of stuff at 7 psi and didn't realize he was leaking, got it fixed and said his car was a whole new animal. Compare that to say...an Eagle Talon that I hear boosts around 5 psi stock with its turbo. Thunderbirds are heavy cars and even with the 5 spd, they wouldn't be fast without that boost.

Third, The thing about the Mark VIII tranny, possibly, it could be done, but it would be foolishness for many reasons that I don't care to list. If you don't think my car has a half shaft then don't come to my house or look on SCCOA.com because you will find out quickly how wrong you are, although a better term for it may be a "shorter shaft". Also you may not be aware of this but I considered buying a Mark VIII before I got this car, I am a huge fan of the Ford MN12 chassis that T-Birds, Cougars and Mark VIII's are built on. I have two T-Birds and a 30th anniversary Cougar with the 4.6 and the same auto tranny. Don't talk to me about T-Birds.

DemonZ, I honestly haven't looked at my production numbers to know for sure, but I think I did get one of the first off the line, either way it's cherry and I don't feel I got ripped off at 4,000 bucks beause it had 66k and was so nice p.s. after I write this I am going to Car Domain to check out ur ride.

Scott O. I live near Tulsa Oklahoma, what is this thunder valley you are talking about, sounds cool, let me know. Maybe we can meet up and you can test drive my Superclucker, and tell me what you think By the way do you have the auto tranny? Cause I can definately do 90 mph at about 2100 RPM.

Anyway, that's all I got to say, and to you fellow Superchicken Cluckers, if you were not lucky enough to get the 5 speed model, don't hate what I say about my car, I have a friend who is a racing legend around here, he has had every kind of musclecar you can name from 10 second camaros to an 11 second mustang (fox body) and he had a Superchicken with pulleys, air intake, headers, exhaust and a chip...and it only ran 15.6 lol, it was an automatic :p

u know whats funny, that these so called Z24 owners are just like the monkeys here by my house fixing up Luminas and Berrettas, thinking they are fast, when we all know they are P.O.S, and its so funny when they try to burn out cuz the wheel doesnt spin, the engine just revs up but the wheels doent even spin. ah man thats funny, well i think they are just lil kids who consider themselves on top of the world because their cars say z24 on them, i wouldnt even bother putting money in a cavalier, i believe every year the cavalier gets the WORST car of the year award, i herd it last year on KROQ 106.7FM while DOC on the ROC was on, (the news) they motortrend car guy said, the CAVALIER has the worst handling and performance out of all the 5 cars reviewed, i was like damn, that bad.

just let them think they raced whoever the hell they want too,

oh yeah if u want i can send u a video of some 89 T BIRD SC vs a 2000 camaro SS and a C5 CORVETTE, of course the T BIRD takes both their asses out, but it cant do anything against the RX7 :(

i found them on KAZAA, if anybody wants them let me know so i can post them up. latez

oh yeah, i say we have a lil Z24 vs TBIRD SC challenge at a local track. See who walks the tallest that day.

Back