ircm wire #14 cut

trife86

hey i cut wire #14 on my ircm, now the fan runs 24/7 even when no key is in the car, unless i wire 14 back together it wont shut off, any ideas?

put a switch on it

trife86 said:
hey i cut wire #14 on my ircm, now the fan runs 24/7 even when no key is in the car, unless i wire 14 back together it wont shut off, any ideas?
:p :p :p just pull wires to inside cab, :confused: :confused: :confused: hook up toggle switch on the 2 wires :D :D then you can shut off :) :) :) and let the ircm run it on cool days :cool: :cool: turn on on hot ones :D :D

trife86 said:

Sounds like your ignition switch has an issue, or the IRCM module has a problem. That wire is for a circuit that should not have power with the key off.

I burnt my fan up running it with a switch like that in about a week, and only turned it on in the traffic...

IGN.Switch

the Ignition switch is bad,, I wouldnt suggest running a toggle on the circut for that fan . That wire has no juice when ignition is off,, I agree with Mike :D Vetteman

89 SC 5spd
76 vette
84 vette
87 vette
70 GT torino

see the new post on this site!!!!!

trife86 said:
:confused: :confused: :confused: " manual switch for fan " :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

i think what you guys are making a big deal out of nothing, ignition switch problems? no i dont think so, but from what i know, when u cut the number 14 wire it will run the fan when the igntion is on, what i did, were the antennae switch used to be i popped in a fog light switch and when the switch is on its running under AUTO, when i flip the switch off its running on CONSTANT, i dont believe that there is a problem with my ignition switch.

i popped in a relay to open and closethe circuit for the number 14 wire.

I think that when u put on a AUTO, CONSTANT switch like many people do i believe u are making ur car a lil more dependable,

also, i had my fan run all the time with the number 14 wire cut for 3 months straight, and my fan hasnt croaked, hopefully i didnt jinx it.

Darkstar_one, the original poster reports that his fan runs all the time after he cut the wire, even when the key is NOT in the ignition. That is a problem that is beyond having the fan run with the wire cut when the key is on and is not normal.

darkstar_one said:
oh, my fault, sorry, change the IRCM

No, don't just change parts unless you have spares just laying around. Trouble shoot it. Ignition switch problems are common as vehicles age.

The only way that the coolant fan can receive power without the ignition key being in place is:

#1 - A problem with the ignition switch.
#2 - A problem with the IRCM
#3 - A problem with the wiring for the ignition switch or IRCM.

To see if the IRCM is being told the ignition switch is on, you can check for 12 volts at pin #13 when the fan would be running. (I wouldn't have my hands in there when it is.) If you get ~12v at pin #13 then the ignition switch is telling it to run.

If you don't have any power at pin #13 and the fan is still running then the EEC Power relay in the IRCM has failed. Pin #13 energizes the EEC power relay which energizes everything else in the IRCM. From the wiring diagram it appears the EEC Power Relay is inside the IRCM.

well, i mean, if there is a problem with the ignition switch shouldnt his battery get all the juiced sucked up through the night?

I had the same problem once, the relay in the IRCM must have been stuck and my fan ran with the key out of the ignition. I tapped on the IRCM with a flashlight and it was fixed. Never had a problem with it after that.

darkstar_one said:
well, i mean, if there is a problem with the ignition switch shouldnt his battery get all the juiced sucked up through the night?

Perhaps. But the original poster has yet to follow-up. The initial post had less than complete information in it. Thus there is insufficient information to determine anything other than.

#1 - Simply cutting the #14 wire will not cause the fan to run even with the ignition is off.

#2 - If the fan is running with the ignition is off, there are various possible causes all of which have as high a probability as the next based on the information known at this time.

The only wan the OP is going to be able to determine the proper course of action is to do some further diagnosis. Whacking the IRCM with the end of a flashlight seems like the first thing to take a shot with.

Mike8675309 said:
Whacking the IRCM with the end of a flashlight seems like the first thing to take a shot with.
Silly as this might sound, its true. The contacts can stick and cause the fan to continue to run.

If you cut the #14 (low speed) fan wire, then you should splice it across to the #17 (high speed) fan wire. Otherwise the low speed will remain energized when the high kicks in. I use the #14 trick in the summer only and by using a 3M spade connector to the #17, I can easily put it back to stock in the winter.

Back