Got a quick Q about the supercoupe main bearings (MS 1782P)

DMX

I was told that the odd pair would be stamped 0.010 or with some other distinguishing mark so that its installed at the rearmost journal. I see no such things on the bearing set I just picked up from napa, I think i've got the answer but I just want to be sure.

The thrust bearing we can obviously ignore, but for the other 3 I have the following

2 pairs of #MB 3187P other end of bearing says Clevite 77 B-1
1 pair of #MB 3138P other end of bearing says Clevite 77 A-1

Seems to me the two like pairs would go in journals 1&2 and the odd one in #4, am I overlooking something here?

Also, its been a couple of days since I pulled the bottom end down, the slotted bearing shell goes in the block not the cap right?

Bearing problems??

Clevite 77,s one half has a grove and one half does not. 0.10 is just the diameter that was cut from your remanufactured crankshaft. the full grove goes in the block and the none grove goes in the cap. the rear bearing should be wider than the others and the thrust bearing of coarse has the shoulder. The next time before you take a lower end apart stamp all rods and there caps and stamp all your main caps, Remember on the connecting rods locks should face the outside of the block. If you randemly took your rod caps off without stamping them ,,unless you have lots of experience at lower ends you have big problems, each rod and its cap is cut to be perfectly concentric,,, meaning they dont fit properly to other rods each is slightly different.
Good luck
Vetteman
P.S. you can also get full groove Clevites,but they steal oil pressure and are ussually just for race applications,,and be sure to replace your oil pump

89 SC 5 spd
76 vette
84 vette
87 vette
70 GT Torino

Last edited:
Didnt bother to stamp them since I was getting a new set, rod bearings are resting in egg carton to ensure that they end up in the same spot. I just though I could just line up the new bearings based on thier differences. Whats wrong with that idea?

gotta stamp the rod and bearing caps

DMX said:
Didnt bother to stamp them since I was getting a new set, rod bearings are resting in egg carton to ensure that they end up in the same spot. I just though I could just line up the new bearings based on thier differences. Whats wrong with that idea?
Well if your certain your putting the rod caps back on the rods they came off of you,ll be fine,, Usually on the side of the connecting rod where it mates with the rod cap is a small machined flat spot,,there is where you stamp a 1 on the rod then on the cap, then go to cyl #2 and stamp 2on the rod and then 2 on the cap ect. look on the sides of the rods in that location to ensure that there isnt a stamp already there

Back