Engine cranks but no start, code 96

Shockwave

On June 24th, after work I went to start the car and the engine cranked but wouldn't start. I noticed that the drivers side seat belt didn't retract when i turned the key on. Everything elese seemed to work ABS lights went out radio came on etc. I opened the pass door and the seat belt went forward but wouldn't retract either when the key was turned on. The tach would jump when the key was initially turned to run but no start. After about giving up I tried one more time and the seat belts went back and the car started fine.

I figured that the ignition switch is on the way out so I replace it the next day. The igintion switch was broke and was about to fall apart so I replaced it. Car has been fine until last night. I went to move the car in the driveway and again no seat belt retraction and no start. Tach jumps when key turned to on, and the engine cranks over no probelm just will not hit. The upshift light goes out while cranking as well. I notice this time around that the fuel pump doesn't run when the the key is first turned on. I mess around with it and try turning the key on and off and feeling the engagement of the ignition switch while turning the key. Everything seems fine and again I'm about to give up and then the seat belt retracts and the fuel pump runs. I try to start the car and it starts right up.

So I go in and get out the EVTM and start looking over the diagrams. The only thing I can find that powers both the fuel pump and passive seat belt module is the EEC relay. Also the enertia switch has to be clsoed for power to get to both, but I find it hard to believe that the enertia switch is a problem, but it can't be ruled out yet.

I think I may have a bad IRCM in that the EEC relay inside may not be working sometimes. The fact that the tach jumps and the upshift light goes out should mean that the F fuse (ign coil) inside the power ditribution box is getting power from the ignition switch. Whether the voltage is getting to the ICRM or not I don't know.

Next time the problem comes up I have a plan to troubleshoot:

Check to make sure 12v is coming from the ignition R/LG wire to the F fuse in the power distribution box. This will prove that the ignition switch is good and wiring from there is good to the power distribution box.

Check for 12v at the IAC motor, this means that the EEC relay inside ICRM is closed and power is fed to IAC, purge solenoid, EGR solenoid etc.

Also when the ignition is first turned on, the ICRM cycles all the relays and the fan spins for a second. So I will watch for that and you can hear the EEC relay pop and fuel pump run if you have the hood up.

I checked codes today and had a memory code of 96 (fuel pump circuit open). I had just had the battery disconnected on Wednesday while installling a trans cooler so the code is fresh.

Any good troubleshooting tips or something I have missed?

Jerry

Back