Manual Cooling Fan Switch

blwnbird

I would like to wire a manual cooling fan switch using the existing cooling fan without removing any wiring/sensors, etc. Has this been done and how was it done. Thanks for any help.

Mike :D

blwnbird said:
I would like to wire a manual cooling fan switch using the existing cooling fan without removing any wiring/sensors, etc. Has this been done and how was it done. Thanks for any help.

Mike :D

Buy a Painless Wiring fan relay. You'll also have to buy a rocker switch. Then just wire it up to your fan per the instructions. There's 3 wires going to your fan....low speed, high speed, and a ground. You'll just have to figure out which one is the low speed or high speed, depending which one you use. I bought my relay from Summit Racing. Hope this helps.

I spliced into the high speed wire and ran it to a relay from there to the starter relay from there to a hole I drilled by my light switch.

The factory fan doesn't like to be started on high speed. The EEC always starts the fan on low speed then goes to high. Also, if you force high speed and the EEC turns on the low speed, the motor windings will fight each other and the fan may burn up.

I ran a manual cooling fan switch to a lighted toggle down near the hood release latch. I spliced into the fan, ran an inline fuse, and it worked like a champ.
Tom

Wire in a cool fan switch, turns your fan on at 180 or 190 degrees. Mine never goes over ½ way on temp and never have to mess with turning it off and on. Autozone 25 bucks..

If you run a switch do you have to turn on and off all the time? When do you know when to do it? My temp hardly ever goes above 1/4 of the gauge...would it still be helpful to have it? Thanks

Back