Rear Subfram Bushing IDEA

68COUGAR

I was looking at my shop manual, thinking about rear subframe bushings, when I realized something.

Rear Subframe Bushing.jpg

Why couldn't we remove the shouldered bolt & replace it with a non-shouldered bolt. Then we could crank down (compress) those OEM rubber bushings until they were near solid?

I haven't crawled under my car yet to see how much room there is for the bolt to extend upward.

So what thinks you guys?

68COUGAR

i *believe* that there is a metal sleave inside that prevents the bushings from overtightening. someone cut those down in another thread-not sure where it is-but it can be done to reduce wheelhop. Mike

The lower part of the bushing limits the amount of compression you can achieve. Instead of doing that, take that top , cupped washer and flip it over. Then torque that stuff down. That will tighten things up. It's getting it apart that can be a challenge.

The problem is the nut the bolt goes into is fixed into the chassis above the subframe and it tends to break loose from it's welds if the bolt won't come loose. Then you're screwed as there is no access to that nut.

Back