vaccum leak?

TwoToneThunder

car runs funny it picks a higher idle
when it idles at its normal rpm it shakes horribly
once u give it gas and it crosses 1000 rpms or so it runs smooth is that a vaccum leak?

what does ur gauge say? should read at about 20 while in park or neutral, should read at no less than 16 while in gear. see if there are any codes that have not set off the CEL.

the car wont idle for me it runs all over the board so idk i need help getting my engine to idle for me at a constistant rpm

titanium89scguy said:
the car wont idle for me it runs all over the board so idk i need help getting my engine to idle for me at a constistant rpm
Sounds like a vacuum leak. That sounds bad enough that you should be able to hear it. Lift the hood with the car running and listen for a leak. You will be able to hear it more than likely.

ive noticed when others drive my car you can hear it going from pretty far away all engine no exhaust whats up with that my friends sc dosent make that much noise

Sounds exactly like what my '94 was doin', just about drove me nuts. Ran codes til I was fordblue in the face. Wound up being the vacuum attachment at the rear of the inlet plenum. Hard to believe that sucker would fall off because it's so hard to get on but mine did.

Starting at your PCV valve at the rear of the passenger valve cover, trace the line rearward and it changes to metal tubing. It then turns around the back towards the driverside and runs for about 5 inches or so past the EGR and then turns upward and has a short section of hose (a little less than 2 inches long) hooked on it. That hose connects to the rear of the plenum. This connection was the culprit on mine. The heat from the EGR valve can swell and just generally cause this small hose to deteriorate and it will literally fall off of the plenum connection. Pull the whole contraption out, replace that section of hose & reinstall. It's a booger to get back on because of the tubing inside of the hose but it can be done.
Also...while doin' all of this searching, be sure to look at your PCV connection on the valve cover. It's somewhat common for the little plastic elbow on top of the valve to crack/split. It's black in color and can be hard to spot down in there.
Another thing...There is a small branch fitting halfway along that metal tube mentioned above, check the small hose hooked to it there to make sure it's not leaking. It can suffer from the EGR heat also.

keep us posted on what you find,

'bird

will do ill go over it tomarrow and let you guys know if not ill need some more opinions lol
judging how the belts were ripping and the plugs are stock at 162k im thinking the hoses are f'ed to

Back