Miracle: Gain Gas from Driving!?!?

esco90SC

Was driving home from the movies a few minutes ago. I've got ~320 miles on my tank so I know I've got to fill up soon. As I'm driving, the gauge starts to move towards the full side instead of the empty. Maybe I'm going uphill... for 10 miles.... 15 miles.... and then it reached full! I'm not the master mechanic but does anyone have any ideas on this? I turned her off when I reached home and it returned to half, resting position. I turned her back on and gas went below half immediately to 1/4.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Aaron

If the gas sending unit inside the tank goes bad and the electrical resistance goes up, the fuel gauge will read full. You either have a sending unit going bad or a bad connection in the wiring. A short in the wiring would show empty where as an open condition, greater than about 200 ohms, shows that the tank is full.

I would have agreed with 93 about hallucianations but I had someone else in the car to verify it. lol.

Maybe its time to replace my tank and pump. My tank has a leak when it is completely full.

Being the tank is plastic..TO have a leak it is probably just a seal..

Could have just got stuck too ya know

Seal replacement = good. Much cheaper to replace that than it would be to get a new tank. I'm pretty sure that its not stuck since it happened over the couse of 15 miles of driving and came back down after I turned off the car and turned her back on.

Thanks,
Aaron

Just buy a complete fuel stand assembly so you get everything. If you plan on doing cam/head work and larger injectors, you might want to swap a 190 or 255 lph walbro pump at the same time.

Jerry

I'm thinking about getting a 190... how much do those run and where are they available? parts # and such?

Aaron

i see those things on ebay so often it isnt funny. i believe bill over at supercoupeperformance.com has them too.

Back