Bolt for Harmonic Damper

DNA

Just lost the stock damper after 1400 miles on a new motor.
Had it rebuilt [remounted the interia ring], but the aluminum must have been fatigued.
Luckily it just cracked and rotated enough to shut the motor down. But the retaining bolt broke in half and replacements seems to be very rare. ARP didn't have one and the 150-2501 bolt for V8 motors definitely does not work.
Anyone know what the thread specs are for this bolt?
Would be nice to use a 'new' bolt and washer with this $350 BHJ damper.

Looks like I'll probably head to the bone yard and pull one. I'm assuming the EFI 3.8 uses the same bolt, but you never know what the Ford engineers have been drinking.

thx

Mike8675309 said:
The stock Tbird Sc part is no longer available. You can use the one that is listed for the 3.8 Mustang.

Here is a thread where Rich from www.mn12performance.com posted the technical details of this bolt and a replacement for use by people with the BHJ balancer.

http://sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46828

-----------------------
Shame on BHJ. ....and I know the guys there, too. I lived and raced in the bay area for 20 yrs. All my 455 Olds machines had BHJ balancers. I 'm gonna have a chat with Al on Monday

What the hell were they thinking ??

I see why they added the extra meat to the shank of the balancer. It distributes the load much more evenly than the stock design which had the bulk of the interia ring entirely ahead of the shank portion much like a deck overhangs past the outer wall of a house.

but, but, but........How about a slip of paper in the package alerting the technician that a longer bolt is >"REQUIRED"< for safe installation???........or for five bux extra, throw in a M14 x 1.5 x 60 bolt.

has anyone actually dumped a new BHJ setup when the stock bolt went south??

I 'm already quite pissed to be tearing into this $3500 motor after 20 hours of run time because of a crappy OEM damper supposedly rated for high performance service. ...now I find out the state of the art replacement part has undocumented changes to its design and requires parts unknown to be successfully installed.

there should be a source for high grade metric fasteners here in Orange county.... I'll post any sources I can locate.

Does Rich Thomson stll have a supply for these bolts still around ???

...maybe BHJ should fill a bin box full of these and throw one in with each

FO-IB3.8V6/SCE-7 [89-93 part #]

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP on THAT INFORMATION. ALL WORK IS ON HOLD UNTIL A CORRECT BOLT IS LOCATED.

This bolt fiasco is giving me a headache. The current BHJ units do not require a longer bolt (though the early units did not either even though some insist otherwise) so a stock length bolt is sufficient. They are readily available by most of us that sell the BHJ unit.

Paul

BT Motorsports said:
This bolt fiasco is giving me a headache. The current BHJ units do not require a longer bolt (though the early units did not either even though some insist otherwise) so a stock length bolt is sufficient. They are readily available by most of us that sell the BHJ unit.

Paul

Paul I need a bolt...

Brad

DNA, we have been in contact with Brian Clarke at BHJ about this issue as stated in the other thread. I talked to him late Friday and we will be getting the official update from him next week. I will post that as soon as I receive it. BHJ has now had a chance to re-look at both styles of dampers for our motor and compare it to their production units. The center section is 0.425" thicker on both models as compared to the stocker. All of the BHJ dampers out there today are of the thicker variety. BHJ did make a run of the newer style dampers that were thinner, but these were not released or sold pending the review they were undertaking of the whole issue.

There have been a lot of these sold and we and BHJ have not had one reported failure using either the stock SC bolt or the newer 3.8 bolt. Like Paul said, there is no real issue at this time. I'll get that information up from Brian at BHJ just as soon as I receive it. Brian has shown us the utmost respect and professionalism throughout this current situation.

Brad, just saw your post, give me a call when you get a chance.
All of the BHJ dampers out there today are of the thicker variety. BHJ did make a run of the newer style dampers that were thinner, but these were not released or sold pending the review they were undertaking of the whole issue.
George, these were released already, I have already sold a few of them and verified myself the change.

Paul

Paul, my info comes directly from Brian Clarke from BHJ that none of the "changed" styles have been released. I'll call him and let him know that you have verified you sold some and have him check on it again.

I would hope he knows George, he is the one that told me the latest units were revised which caused me to inspect the last couple I received.

Paul

Brian had told me that they made some in the newer style only, but had not released any. Maybe I did not hear him correctly, so I will re-verify it with him.

Back