antenna repair advice

AnnivSpeCpe

I did a search and cannot find the answer to this problem. I bought a replacement antenna mast with the attached nylon geared drive "cable" to repair my power antenna. The old antenna came out with about 3" of the old drive cable attached, which left most of the old cable still inside the "snail". Using the motor won't rotate the old cable out, I think the cable turned enough that the notches aren't engaged with the motor gear. There is no part of the old cable visible to grab onto. Anybody have any suggestions on how to remove the broken remnant of cable? The snail doesn't seem to be made to come apart. I am considering cutting the snail apart and then JB Weld it back togehter. I just know someone has encountered this same problem and looking for your solution. Thanks, John

If it's like my 89 the snail does come apart. The seam is hard to see but it is there right down the side of the circular assembly. Take off the center nut then pry a little on the center lip and it will come apart. Again this is my experience from my 89 yours may be different but if it has a nut on one side then take it off and it's that side that comes off the main antenna assembly.

1owner89 you are correct.

Thanks a million. I feel pretty dumb. My 90 had some kind of black sealant on that little nut and I just didn't see it. All is good. Thanks. John

Back