95 SC 5 Speed, CEL & WOT hesitation

aviationstation

All,

Just purchased a 95 SC 5 speed with 77k miles. During a conversation with the seller, he mentioned that the radiator was just replaced due to a leak at the filler neck on the old one. He also said that they disconnected the battery to work on the radiatior. After the job was complete and the battery re-connected, the CEL stayed on (he repaired it in his driveway).

I suggested that we start it and let it idle for 5 to 10 mins, which we did. I then drove it around the block and, under 4~5 lb boost the engine pinged pretty good (which I attribute to the CEL & the Module defaulting to a set timing). Once the CEL went off (about 5 minutes into driving it), the pinging stopped.

Now, when under acceleration and around 5 psi boost (and up), the car hesitates (like no spark or fuel) for a moment. I've heard that this might be a fuel pressure regulator (perhaps a vacuum line)? Does this sound likely? I've had a similar problem with my 2000 DeathStar Van, but a quick replacement of the vacuum line fixed that hesitation problem. I've seen other posts indicating that the wires might be bad, but my experience tends to lean away from the likelyhood of a plug wire or wires actually being bad.

In any case, I look forward to any suggestions & hints. I'll stick a scanner on it this week to see if I can get any more info.

Thanks!

M Randolph
in SoCal somewhere in Kali~fornia

-95 Thunderbird SC/5-Spd
-69 GTO 400/T400
-67 Chevelle SS 396/4-Spd
-66 Nova SS 283/T350
-57 Ford Fairlane 2 Dr H/T 312 SC

Last edited:
92RedSC,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I'm going to scan the car once I get the time. I may end up replaceing the molded vacuum line anyway (the old ones crack & leak) just for sanity's sake. I'm sure the code(s) will give a hint of any additional problems.

Thanks!

M Randolph
in SoCal somewhere in Kali~fornia

-95 Thunderbird SC/5-Spd
-69 GTO 400/T400
-67 Chevelle SS 396/4-Spd
-66 Nova SS 283/T350
-57 Ford Fairlane 2 Dr H/T 312 SC

Back