Need some AOD tranny advice....

LJGriggs

I lost the overdrive band in the AOD in my '92 SC this weekend. Can't really complain too much, the tranny has served me well for 202K miles. I need to either get the tranny rebuilt, or get a good used one. Does anyone know where I can find a good functional AOD for an SC that is reasonably priced? I don't need all the (Art Carr/LenTech) performance upgrades because this is a "daily driver". Just a good, reliable "SC rated" AOD.
BTW, I have done all the repair work on the "old bird" for several years, but I have never removed a tranny. Do I need to pay someone to replace the old unit, or is this something that a "reasonably capable" do-it-yourselfer can handle?

you can do it urself, just have a good jack and balance the transmission on it, or else, KABLAMOOOO, it will land right on you,

your going to have to lower the rear end to get the DRIVESHAFT out, or drop the gas tank, u will drop the front exhaust from the manifolds and resonator,

i say when u get it rebuilt, u buy the parts urself and pay someone to install them for you, because alot of these mechanics dont know that the SC transmission is special and they will just put parts from the NA birds., but if u buy the parts urself u can just take them to get them installed and know for damn sure they are in there.

Thanks!!! I'll start looking at rebuild kits (if I don't find a good used AOD from a "parted-out" SC...)

There is at least one being sold in the parts section.

Considering the work involved in doing the actual rebuild, to me it makes sense to buy one and maybe have it installed, although if you're meticulous, have the space and are willing to get the proper tools, its DIY-able. There is a good Haynes manual on AODs at Azone which will let you know whats involved.

Mine is doing something similar. Its drops out of O/D after about 100 miles. Most of my trips are less than that, but the problem certainly isn't going to get any better. My plan is to add a cooler to get the temp down and see how much time that buys me. ;)

I agree with the Hayes AOD rebuld manual! I usually hate the Hayes, but this one is good!

Read this thread here, I give some detail about what I did. If you have the will it is no problem.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45765&highlight=aod

I actually removed my tranny this weekend, and I am goin to rebuild it with some 4R70W internals i got off ebay! Wider OD band, and the 1,2 gears are shorter! The 2-3 shift will unfortunately be a little tall...

I got a rebuild kit form my local Autozone back when I did the AOD in my Lincoln Towncar, and it happened to be the brand that I was sent this time when i ordered the kit from Baumann Engineering. (it was a transtec brand)

Baumann engineering has been a great company to deal with this far. Greg down there spoke to me for a good 30-45 minutes before I even ordered anything, just explaning the details of the AOD-4R70W internals swap. These guys know their ***** about an AOD!!!

I got their shift kit, and their boost valve (a durability part) and ordered my rebuild kit from em. I got it in real quick, and then a few days later, they even sent me a thank you letter!

Any ways, if you want to tackle it, I might can answer any questions you have about it, in fact I can call you if you setup a time (got the unlimited long distance plan on thehouse phone)

The worst part is how messy it all is...

I used the Kevlar OD band from TCI, and according to Greg at Baumann, it will last a bit longer, but may cause temps to be a little higher becasue it takes a little longer to engage (more slippage). But he said durability would benefit...
If I had it to do over, I would just use the regular one, as the tradeoff probably makes it negligble... but it was only $30.

As far as tranny removal, I removed the gastank to remove the driveshaft, also a great time to replace the fuel filter with a high flow one... Never done it the other way... I did take one out myself way back in the day to take it to the shop to be rebuilt, it was a little cheaper that way, but I won't be paying anyone else to do one again...

BTW, I got a few thousand (3-4) on that tranny in my towncar before I sold it, and never heard of the guy having any trouble out of it... I see it as a very doable DIY project...

Good luck!

Last edited:
Becareful of the ABS sensors when you drop the rear end. They can get pricey if you break em.

I have done a bunch of transmission swaps but the SC takes the cake. It's not a real bad job. Just alot of stuff in the way of the tranny: Remove ABS sensors, remove rear driveshaft loop, loosen gas tank, loosen and drop rearend enough to slide driveshaft back (Driveshaft doesnt have to come out, just slides back), drop exhaust, remove crossmember, misc tranny / converter bolts, and it's out. I had to do it twice.... once when I blew overdrive (then again when I snapped the lockup shaft). Overdrive wont blow now.... replaced wimpy stamped steel one with heavy cast drum and Kevlar band and Vasco input shaft.

If you are putting a shift kit or anything in the trans you may want to upgrade the input shaft to save you from pulling it out again.

I've got a good used AOD and stock converter that came out of my 93 SC a couple weeks ago when I installed a Lentech with the turbo motor. I'll sell it for $100, but you need to pick it up in St. Louis.

David

Hey David...

David Neibert said:
I've got a good used AOD and stock converter that came out of my 93 SC a couple weeks ago when I installed a Lentech with the turbo motor. I'll sell it for $100, but you need to pick it up in St. Louis.

David

That's a great offer!!! What if I was to contact a shipping company and make arrangements to have it transported? If that is OK, we can talk about this "off-line" and work out a plan that is convenient for you....

Let me know!!!

larry.griggs@bellsouth.com (work)
ganeco@adelphia.net (home)

Thanks!!!! :)

LJGriggs said:
That's a great offer!!! What if I was to contact a shipping company and make arrangements to have it transported? If that is OK, we can talk about this "off-line" and work out a plan that is convenient for you....

Let me know!!!

larry.griggs@bellsouth.com (work)
ganeco@adelphia.net (home)

Thanks!!!! :)

Larry,

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but the shipping arrangements are easy...it's the draining the fluid, cleaning it up, transporting it to my work, skidding or crating it, worrying if it's going to be damaged or lost during transport ect...ect...that I don't want to mess with.

So unless your going to send someone to my house to pick it up on the weekend and deal with all that stuff, I'm really not interested.

I've got another buyer lined up, so please let me know something by this evening. My home e-mail address is dkneibert@charter.net

David

Thanks anyway...

No Dave, you don't sound like a jerk... I wouldn't want to deal with all the fluid and grunge either (at least not for $100.00). I appreciate the offer, though. Maybe I will find one a little closer to home. If you have another buyer lined up, please don't hesitate to close the deal.
Once again, thanks for the offer!!!

Back