oil fouled plugs

SCXR7Cougar

My car is a 1990 Mercury Cougar XR7 SC, 5 speed, 135,000 miles.

I have a problem that seems to be stumping my local mechanic. I have two plugs that have become oil fouled #1 and #6. He has done a compression test and a flow test. The engine he says is fine and not the problem. The engine is very new (April 2004) and they cleaned up everything real pretty when they put the new motor in. All the sensors were checked and the injectors were cleaned too. It was running great for a couple of weeks. I've replaced the plugs and the car runs great now but I'm wondering what could have caused it and it will probably be just a matter of time until they become fouled again. Any suggestions on what to check??

maybe it just isnt broken in yet i would try factory heat range i use colder plugs and they foul easy on my older motor

rlong said:
maybe it just isnt broken in yet i would try factory heat range i use colder plugs and they foul easy on my older motor

Sorry? I'm still a rookie with working on my car! What do you mean by "cold plugs"?? Please help!! :confused:

fouled plugs

I'd check and make sure the PCV system is entact and functioning properly,
you can get oil fouling by sucking oil into the intake manifold through a sticking PCV valve or if the PCV system has inadvertantly modified or hooked up incorrectly.
just my 2 cents..
bill

make sure you use a stock type plug like autolite 2544 or 2544pp i wouldnt use bosch or other brands

my 2 cents CND

there's no relationship between #1and#6 ...on the electrical side of things except... bad wires ..and you have the cyclinders numbered right ..so doubtfull electrical ...compression test .. can be hard to tell if it's blowby ..since oil @ low rpm of a compression test ..can aid in sealing the rings ...giving a faults read...leak down test would be more informable ...if your intercooler hasn't been apart... for along while ..it maybe pooling oil inside the intercooler ...and pumping it into the system under boost ....also check SC fluid ..bad seals could let the SC ...suck it out and back into the intake ...pcv is good advice as well ...if it's plugged or sticking ..that would send more oil out the vent side back into the motor and pooling in the intercooler ....dave

Back