Fiberglass doors are done, here's a pic.

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
John Temple and I, mostly John, have been drilling out the holes and fitting the trim to them. Here's the driver's side.

Attachments

• SC Door Pictures-4.jpg
    SC Door Pictures-4.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 880
Here's some more pics.

You can see the inner side drilled out and then the raw undrilled passenger door. This weekend we'll try to get them completed. I want to get them painted and mounted as soon as possible.

Attachments

• SC Door Pictures-1.jpg
    SC Door Pictures-1.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 564
  • SC Door Pictures-2.jpg
    SC Door Pictures-2.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 466
  • SC Door Pictures-3.jpg
    SC Door Pictures-3.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 589
looking good guys.

Mike a set going on the racer? If so, I would maybe start thinking of a to trailer the car to Atlanta Drag. With those fiberglass doors and no inner support (I guess), I don't think you would want to take a chance in a side-impact crash.

But thats a great job John and Mike. Hope we can see a set at our next SCCoSE meet.

John is having them made by a friend who does that sort of thing. The empty shell weighs 17 lbs. The empty steel shell weighs about 70lbs. I am concerned about side impact and I think we'll just do the passenger side 1st. I guess I'll be putting in a roll cage this winter.

If you put fiberglass doors on a Supercoupe, is it still considered a Supercoupe? :p :D J/k Is there going to be a seperate top SC's list for cars with fiberglass body parts? I can hear it already....... :rolleyes: :D :p

John's friend does some awesome work. Looks nice.

This is just curiousity I am not sharpshooting anyone.. But that is only a net loss of 106 lbs which should only be a net gain of roughly .01 seconds in in the 1/4 right. So do you think the cost/risk is worth the gain or are my numbers way off. Like I said I am not attempting to critique or criticize, just understand.

That is some DAMN FINE fiberglass work. Whoever did that has talent.

They will be for sale. Mine are the prototypes and are being used to test their fit and durability. Some modifications may be necessary. That 100 lb weight loss should translate more to .1 sec rather than .01 and I'll take it. I mean this being a race car and all, I'm shooting to get it to run consistent mid 12's. I'll eventually pick the weight back up with the roll cage but it'll still be a weight loss over the steel door. I can replace the glass with lexan, too.

Bleed_Ford_Blue said:
This is just curiousity I am not sharpshooting anyone.. But that is only a net loss of 106 lbs which should only be a net gain of roughly .01 seconds in in the 1/4 right. So do you think the cost/risk is worth the gain or are my numbers way off. Like I said I am not attempting to critique or criticize, just understand.

That is some DAMN FINE fiberglass work. Whoever did that has talent.

It's not a cost effective mod for an entry level SC, but when there is nothing else left to do, it starts to look really attractive. Especially if someone is trying to offset the added weight of a roll bar. The doors are also in an area that constitutes dead weight above the cars center of gravity and do not contribute to the structural rigidity of the car. It will help handling as well as 1/4 mile times.

At the point I am now, I would swao my wife for 100 less pounds in the Bird.
Heck, Id swap her for 10lbs loss.

I was pricing a 2005 Cobra, and the guy said it would be 36,000 delivered when they are released. I asked him how muck if I traded in my wife? He said 46,000. He said hes been trying to get rid of the one he has now. :)

I heard the SVT Cobra (new body style) won't be released until 2006 or 2007. Now that I think about it, I suppose they could release it in 2005 as a 2006, so you could be right. Although, Ford is offering special lease options on SVT Cobras so that you can lease a 2004 and then have the lease end in 18-24 months and swap that for the new Cobra when they are released.

Im really not trying to be a pain in the neck here, but would in not make more sense to lighten the front end, say the suspension or maybe the k-member by replacing them with a lighter material. It would greatly improve the weight transfer to the rear would it not, and wouldnt it be cheaper to machine aluminum control arms or other such parts than to have a guy make a mould to mould doors. I have never had a fiberglass mould made, but I bet the guy who did that didnt do it cheap. That kind of work costs. I am not a 1/4 mile racer and never have been, so dont be upset at me Im just trying to understand. I know on the dirt track we leave weight that is behind or neutral to the center of gravity and constantly try to lighten the front end so the cars weight transfers more quickly for better grip (then again that is dirt and this is asphalt). But isnt grip the all important thing here?

I did not know that the car was a race only car so I guess the safety of a steel door is not an issue. I cant get over that fiberglass work, that is some of the best Ive seen. I have a shelby hood (not a repro) in my garage and it is rougher than that.

I may be wrong but it seems to me that with only 232 cu. in. weight is a big factor. Its like free hp. you dont have to do anything to the engine and it makes the car faster.

I will buy a pair of doors if I can receive them by the end of this month.
Don't need all this testing .And sell my hairyglass doors.

Randy

Door sale

I can have a set by the end of the month...that would not be a problem. We will be using our new bonding technique on this set for a more uniform edge fit. Please give me a call @ (770)722-2587 John

Another reason for the glass doors.............it would be a LOT easier to do custom lambo opening doors with those glass skins. Just in case you customizers would be interested.

Awesom work guys...those look hot. Doesn't a company in Canada make a glass trunklid too?

Micah

Back