PDA

View Full Version : Fast Ed....help please

ss_scuba
08-09-2004, 11:36 PM
If possible, I hope you may be able to help me out. When I got my long block from Ford, I also picked up a bunch of gaskets, seals, etc. I've wound up replacing the intake manifold gasket already once due to it shifting while we were putting the motor in (I suspect that we didn't tighten the bolts properly for that one). The problem was I was still loosing vacuum somewhere and when I really pushed the car, I'd have some oil come out the dipstick tube. It's not a cylinder, as I already did a compression test and they all turned out to be perfect. The engine only has about 8000kms on it.

After putting on a rebuilt/ported blower, and running it for a nite at the races....I have oil all over around the dipstick tube. I've checked the PCV system, and it's all good. Ditto with the breather off the driver's side valve cover.

My thought now lies with the intake manifold gasket. The kit that was given to me (both times) was for a 3.8N/A. Could you do some checking and see if the gaskets on the 3.8SC and 3.8N/A are different in anyway. The guys that I use from Marlborough Ford said that it was the same kit for both cars. I'm going to rip the motor down to do it anyhow as the crankcase is getting pressure from somewhere. Just wondering if you, or anyone else, would have some info about this.

Also, does anyone know the Fel-Pro kit number for the intake manifold kit? Sorry for this being so long.

fast Ed
08-10-2004, 09:26 AM
Hey Scott

3.8 NA and SC do use the same lower intake gaskets. Ford p/n is F4ZZ 9433 A. Fel-Pro number for the SC motor is MS 94045-1. They will list a different number for the NA and SC motors, because Ford supplies the NA upper plenum gasket with their kit, while Fel-Pro will supply the specific plenum gasket for the application.

cheers,
Ed N.

ss_scuba
08-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Well...if the gaskets are the same, then I've probably got a warped intake manifold. Good thing for parts cars! Oh well....it's another project for this weekend. I'll probably go with the Fel-Pro kit, mostly cause I'm getting tired of having 3.8N/A gaskets laying around. Thanks for checking.

ss_scuba
08-10-2004, 03:52 PM
Does anyone know if the copper spray can be used on the Ford or Fel-Pro gaskets? I heard that it can destroy some gaskets.

rlong
08-10-2004, 09:12 PM
i wouldnt use any spray and torque them all about 4 or 5 times cause everytime you go around it seems there will be one still loose