code 214 cylinder i.d. circuit failure

marrart

has anyone had this code and what does it mean? friend says its either camshaft or crankshaft sensor. which one? id like to here from someone thats had this problem and fixed it. thanks in advance. correct diagnosis is distributerless ignition system cylinder identification circuit failure. art :confused:

That would be your cam sensor. Related symptoms are dead tach or hard running, no start. They're about $30. Oh, and FYI, your car will run without one but will take a few key-off tries to get it started. :)

code 214

TbirdSCFan said:
That would be your cam sensor. Related symptoms are dead tach or hard running, no start. They're about $30. Oh, and FYI, your car will run without one but will take a few key-off tries to get it started. :)
thanks, the car starts fine and doesnt stall, buck or anything else.just seems to run a little rough and not as smooth as it should be. maybe a bad plug wire or some thing? art

Definately your cam sensor. I had an intermittent CE light and it turned out to be code 214. I bought the sensor from Ford for 60 bucks. Too much to pay...maybe. But, too many times so far, I've bought parts from auto parts store and them 1. Not be the right part even though it looks like it. or 2. Work for less than half the time than stock. To replace the cam sensor, just take out the 2 small screws and replace. I did it and didn't remove anything to get to it. The haynes manual says that you must set the number one cylinder to 26 degrees before top dead center, but you really don't. The Helm's manual (Ford Service Manual) says you only have to do that if you are replacing the rotor (cam sensor housing).

Just went through this myself with code #214. My idle however, would get rough after the car warms up. It only fluctuated about 200rpm but the car bucked and shook quite violently. If you've recently changed plugs or wires and don't have any driveability (idle) problems; I'd also check for a cracked plug insulator (easily done with the limited room we have to install plugs on these cars) and maybe a loose boot connector (damaged when pulling the wires off).
Jim.

Back