Odd 4R70W tranny problem........I think!

edspringer

When I use the O/D button on the shifter my O/D does not work..........most of the time. Fired up the SC this morning and started down the road like I do most mornings. Pushed the O/D button and the O/D came on and held the tranny in 3rd. Drove for about 5 miles and pushed the O/D button to go into O/D. Nothing happened! So, like I have for the past 3 months, I pulled the shifter very slightly back toward 2 (the tranny does not go into 2nd gear) and pushed the O/D button. The tranny shifted into O/D. Then for the rest of the day I have no control over the O/D. I can push the button all I want and no O/D green light shines or shift is felt. The tranny shifts up and down great. I use Royal Purple synthetic tranny fluid. I also installed a TransGo shift kit and a ProTorque 2500 stall speed torque converter before the O/D problem started. However, the tranny worked fine after those 2 mods and the O/D probelm just got worse over time to it's current state. Anyone else been lucky enough to have this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

My prognosis is I suspect the 3-4 shift valve works OK when the fluid is cold and sticks or the coils fails when the tranny fluid gets hot. I have no CE codes. Any help would be appreciated!

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs and Rear Spring Air Bags.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 38# Injectors, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:73 Gears, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, TRANSGO Shift Kit, ProTorque 2500 Stall TC, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires and 235 RWHP with 315 Lbs.Ft. Torque.

The more I see the transgo shift kits the less I like them. I'd remove that they seem to be causing more problems than they fix. Take that from a guy who has installed many of them. They worked for me from years but recently they have been causing failures. I don't know if they redesigned it or what.
Check the tech articles on TCCOA.COM . They explain a j-mod to do which works very very well.
I think you need to check and or update your mlps.
Alan

The wiring to the button is bad. I think you can still buy it, or you can repair it yourself. It usually work hardens and or breaks near the bottom of the shifter where it makes the turn to the connector within the console. The actual trans has nothing to do with it, nor the shift kit. EASY fix.

Last edited:
YT90SC said:
The wiring to the button is bad. I think you can still buy it, or you can repair it yourself. It usually work hardens and or breaks near the bottom of the shifter where it makes the turn to the connector within the console. The actual trans has nothing to do with it, nor the shift kit. EASY fix.

You were right. Easy fix! The wires were broken; like they had been cut. I soldered them and my O/D works great. Thanks for the info.

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 142,740 miles, 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger Upgrade, 36# injectors, 190 l/h fuel pump, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Under drive Pulleys, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:27 Gears, Rear Spring Air Bags, Ripper Shifter, 73 C&L MAF (Blue Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants.

94 Red SC Auto: 93,660 miles, 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, 38# injectors, 190 l/h fuel pump, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Under drive Pulleys, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:73 Gears, 76 C&L MAF (Gold Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, ProTorque 2500 TC, Tokico Struts & Shocks, Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, dynode 235 RWHP at 315 LB-FT. Torque.

Back