Latest TURBO news update. Phase I

I talked to Mr. Tom Berry today from HP Performance. HP are the ones handling the upcoming Turbo project for my Supercoupe in Roswell New Mexico. According to Tom, our project is finally underway and he has offered to take some pictures soon. I will keep you guys entertained with the updates as they unfold. I know I have been preaching to you guys for 6 months now, but we are finally underway with the project. :cool:

hey dirtybird91!

i just bought a '92 5spd, hoping to put the AR kit in it over the coming months. But i am also very anxious to see what the turbo SC is capable of. I can't wait!

Do you have a preliminary idea yet of what hp and tq numbers might come from this setup?

So far I've been leaning heavily on getting an AR kit for this car, but can the turbo setup produce a fat powerband too, or will i have to gear it up aggressively for high rpms?

i'm interested in optimizing for street performance and not necessarily the 1/4 mile. Besides it seems the m5r2 is a bit too clunky to shift to get really sharp ET's out of it. I'm learning already that the shifting alone wastes 1/4 to 1/2 second on each shift (hangups- not smooth), and you would have to shift at least twice on the quarter mile.

Last edited:
hytorksc said:
i just bought a '92 5spd, hoping to put the AR kit in it over the coming months. But i am also very anxious to see what the turbo SC is capable of. I can't wait!

Do you have a preliminary idea yet of what hp and tq numbers might come from this setup?

So far I've been leaning heavily on getting an AR kit for this car, but can the turbo setup produce a fat powerband too, or will i have to gear it up aggressively for high rpms?

i'm interested in optimizing for street performance and not necessarily the 1/4 mile. Besides it seems the m5r2 is a bit too clunky to shift to get really sharp ET's out of it. I'm learning already that the shifting alone wastes 1/4 to 1/2 second on each shift (hangups- not smooth), and you would have to shift at least twice on the quarter mile.

It is my opinion that a Automatic tranny will work the best with the Turbo setup. My '1991 Supercoupe is equipped with Art Carr's Extreme AOD and a 2500 rpm stall. Also it will likely be best suited for the dragstrip, but I will refrain from jumping to conclusions ahead of time. I will also assure you that there will be one mean *** powerband! :D Believe that with all of your heart!
I have no preliminary ideas on the tq and hp, but I will assure you that HP Performance was given a good homework assignment and my request was simple: "I want a car that is capable of low 12 second timeslips." A very simple order indeed...... You can guess what kinds of numbers I will need to achieve this goal, and you will be on target with my agenda. Murphy's laws also apply when something like this is going on. I don't expect everything to happen without issues.:rolleyes: Wish me luck! :cool:

Last edited:
so i guess the autorotor would be best for my situation. BTW, i am looking to sell my '92 SC AOD in a couple of months for $1,000 firm if anyone's interested. i will post this in cars for sale forum soon.

dirtybird91 said:
That don't skeer me none! :p ;) :rolleyes: :D
It's not meant to scare anyone but darn if it don't! It may not be the fastest, but it sure is the loudest! lol

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemmmm!!! - blow off valve, what? - Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemmm!!!! - did I hear a "whoosh" in here? - Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemmmmm!!!! Nope, didn't think so. :D :D :D :D

XR7 Dave said:
It's not meant to scare anyone but darn if it don't! It may not be the fastest, but it sure is the loudest! lol

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemmmm!!! - blow off valve, what? - Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemmm!!!! - did I hear a "whoosh" in here? - Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemmmmm!!!! Nope, didn't think so. :D :D :D :D

Dave,
I don't know if you are a Whipple guy, a Turbo guy, or both, but you are danm sure a Supercoupe guy so you are AOK with me! :cool:

Back