Lesson learned

mcate

Speedometer on my '95 has been messed up ever since I installed white gauge faces last week. The needle won't move until the car gets to around 30 or 40 mph, but the odometer & trip odometer work normally. Took it today to a calibration place in Va Beach & the guy couldn't get it to calibrate. He told me it's fried. He asked me if I had it out during the gauge face install & I told him I did. He says he always grounds himself & the speedo whenever he has one out. Wish I'd known they were ESD sensitive when I pulled it. Lesson learned. Fortunately Dan Newman at Ford Parts HQ has one that I'm ordering tomorrow because they're no longer available from Ford. $169 plus whatever it costs me to have the new odometer set. Expensive mistake on my part. (Life's sure hard when you're stupid!) Hope this helps keep anyone else from making the same mistake.

MC

P.S Even though I'm not sure how fast I'm going, those white gauges sure look nice!

When I had my gauges apart, I had no prolems from esd at all. The only problem I've had is setting the needle on the speedo itself. To this day, It still isn't accurate, but it moves like it's supposed to.

Back