Anyone else broke a stock spring?

v8killr

I'm just curious...because i was changing my front brakes and as i'm taking the bolts out of the caliper i notesed what looked at first like the coating on the spring was tore.Well upon futher review it's my frigg'n coil spring that is broke up towards the second or third coil from the top.
I'm pretty sure these are the original springs,but i have never seen a coil spring break like that...the funny part of it all is,i was just looking yesterday at a set of blue spring tech springs on ebay for $122.00.Has anyone else bought these springs or put any of these on?I can fix most of the stuff on my car but coil springs can be a little scary if you don't take them off correctly.
I'll do a search on here and see what i can find...i just wanted to see who else borke there springs and what kind of ride thay had because mine is a little bouncy....
Thanks Dave.

Both front suspension springs on my old '89 broke when they were around 12 years old. After inspecting a number of junk yard cars, I concluded that there are two types (two manufacturers?) of front springs (just as there are two types of rear lower control arms).
The ride was extremely bouncy when there were dips in the road and the Ford dealer didn't succeed in doing a front end alignment. They blamed the tires. I finally noticed the torn coating while working under the car.

Last edited:
I had a 94 that had both front spings broke at the bottom about 3 inches in. I think someone was doing the dukes of hazard thing. :D

I have a perfect set of springs that you can have for $20. They are from my 93 V8, and were pulled off years ago when I put Eibachs on. I live in Clarksville Tn, about 50 miles North of you. They are under the work bench collecting dust. Come on up...

392bird:
sry to jump in. i couldnt get a pm to you.. :confused: but yea. i live on fort campbell and ive never seen your car around. is it driving now? at least i know not to try to mess with you at a light. :p awesome work on the bird.

specops_SC:
It has been under construction for 2 years, with only a short break of 1 month. I have just over 200 miles on the drive train now. I live in the St Bethleham area, off the 101st Parkway. I only drove it out near post once to get it weighed a couple of weeks ago. I was going to take it to the local drag strip tonight just to run it through tech inspection to see if any thing else needs done. I am working on the front end now, and hope to be ready in time. It is not ready for its first run yet, but getting close. Drop me a e mail at wd4ngb@charter.net and Ill send you directions to drop by. I Retired from the Army, so am on post often, but in my truck only for now. Have a post sticker on the Bird, but I need to tame it down some before I go through the gate. :)

Bruce

That's pretty cool you guy are that close to me.I have a retired warrent officer working at my work he lives up there.As far as the springs go though..i just bought a set of lowering springs but i do appreciate the offer.Where are you taking your car(beech bend)?I was just up there two weeks ago and go up there all the time.If you ever go up drop me a line and i'll come on up.
Dave

Glad you have a set of springs back in it, and on the road. We have a strip here in Clarksville, Gateway Motor Drags. I will get everything sorted out on the car there, then also run at Beach Bend in Bowling Green, and Union Hill just outside of Nashville. I do not plan on much action this Fall, but should be ready to turn it loose in the Spring.

broken springs

I just found a broken L/F spring on my 94 SC about 2" from the bottom.

( 100,000 mi )

MN12s that have lived any of their life in the rustbelt areas of the world proabbly have broken springs by now, we see that here all the time in southern Ontario ... front and rear!!

cheers
Ed N.

Back