1990 sc car runs like the waste gate is sticking

Flash67

is it possible for the surge to be waste gate sticking when I rev it up I hear heavy hissing in the engine compartment I rev it up a few time then it runs great again doesn't do this till car warms up .Any sugesstions have new plugs wires fuel pump. :confused: undefined

they dont have a waste gate they have boost bypass but it shouldnt hiss unless theres a vacuum leak somewhere the only time mine hissed like that was when the hose to the egr transducer melted on the back of the intake, my fuel pressure regulator sticks sometimes and it hesitates and its not very often but its done it for a few years now ,when i can feel the pressure regulator start working and it starts pulling harder but thats mostly before it warms up

Last edited:
Waste gates are used on turbos primarly. Not superchargers.

If you are hearing a noise you should have a friend help you by snapping the throttle open while you listen under the hood. You likely have a boost leak at one of the big fittings. Check the big nut on the SC top first. Then check the other tube fittings to make sure they are tight.

If you can locate the sound to one of the tubes and it's tight then it may need to be re-sealed. They are sealed with a thick teflon gasket material.

People have had good luck using Permatex Copper RTV as a replacement. And even better is the reusable teflon gaskets from www.texasthunderbirds.com. Many SC's are using those reusable gaskets and they work very well.

Back