PDA

View Full Version : breaking in the engine

92redsc
08-14-2004, 02:20 AM
well im trying to find the best way to break in a engine. i have only 350 miles on it. ive heard everything from keep it under 3000 rpms to dog the crap out of it to heat it up and cool it off. dont floor it and floor it. everything. so what is the real way to do it, and are you really not supposed to floor it? i already have a couple of time will that hurt it? and ive also heard it willl be a little faster after it gets broken in. whats the deal?

darkstar_one
08-14-2004, 02:27 AM
just dont push it to its limits, i think if i had it, i would push it after the first oil change, 3000 miles, kinda like when u have to break in the rear end gears, after 2000 miles they are broken in, so if i were u, i would wait either the 3 months or 3000 miles. thats just me

vetteman
08-14-2004, 02:49 AM
I biuld alot of small block chevy engines for stock and race applications,Personally the first thing i do is run 10w40 in the stocks let idle for about a half hour change the oil, then run it as norm, Now on a race engine with slightly different clearences,I run 20w 50 valvoline and go put a run on it,if its gonna stay together it will do it the first time and the last time never had any bad experiances, Now as far as Aluminum headed engines i hear you start and idle for a 15 minute or operating temp then cool completely.sart again and let get hot ,then change oil and run it normally,nothing over 4500 for 300 miles.When you hit that 300 mile limit put the oil of your preference in it(mine is valvoline 10w40)in low mileage engines and put a run on it boost her to 12 or 13 and run it to 5000rpms threw the shifts,you will be fine,the bigest prblem with new engines isnt in the lower end its in the ring seat,, the cranks are normally polished,but the cylinders have crosshatch machining wich causes friction,so you want them to seat more so than worry about the lower end.
vetteman :D

bigg_boyys_SC
08-14-2004, 10:30 AM
Pretty much what Vetteman said is what I would do. The cranks and bearings aren't too much of a problem, if the clearances are right and the machinist done a good job. As far as seating the rings, I preffer to crank the engine and find a vacant road. Then accelerate to 55-60 mph and then coast down to 30-35 mph. Do this about 10 times back to back. The "suck back" of the decceleration causes a good seat.

92redsc
08-14-2004, 02:24 PM
ok sounds good. i have also heard about the tightness thing is that true? because i dont think my car is running as fast as it should be. i took it to the track last night and the best i could get was a 16.4 and i know it wasnt the driving. the worst part was my 2.6 60 times but i couldnt get the tires warmed up good because of wheel hop. best mph of 86. i let my friend drive it once and he only bested me on one thing and that was 60 of a 2.48 but his ET and MPH were slower. do you think the engine will rev faster after it gets broken in a little more???

92redsc
08-15-2004, 10:49 PM
hmm well also, do stock SCs get a good scratch into 2nd gear? mine gets a little one but ive heard they get better than that so im still wondering why my engine isnt doing that, so anyone on the faster reving after 2000-3000 miles?