Anyone know anything about Tecumseh carburetors?

mcate

I know this is off the Super Coupe topic, but I got my generator out today in preps for the arrival of the remnants of hurricane Charley this evening. When I put gas in the tank, it started running out of the carburetor. I took it apart, & found it all gummed up. I drained the tank after Isabel last year, but I guess some gas was left in the carb. Anyway, I cleaned it all up & put it back together. I replaced the needle & the retaining slip, & the little rubber "washer" where the needle seats. But gas still runs out. If I remove the float bowl & manually hold the float up, no gas runs out. Any ideas?

Thanx,
Mike

Mike, just my thoughts, the float itself may not be buoyant anymore. It's the buoyancy of the float that makes it rise in the fuel as the bowl fills until the needle and seat make contact to shut off the flow of fuel. I have had this happen in years past with the Holleys I've worked on. A couple of times I had to replace the float and then everything worked fine.
Just a thought. Good luck.

To bad it's not a honda.I work at a honda distributor here in TN.
Even though the carbs are most of the time the same i can't look up the carb to give you part numbers or help you out with the parts,but i would replace the float and clean that carb real good again.When it sits like that you get varnish built up and that could be another reason,but my guess would be the float.You also can buy a rebuild kit for those that would help.
Dave

I've been tinkering with it all day, & I was thinking about replacing the float. I took it out & put it in a cup of water & it floated. Not sure whether that proves anything or not. I've cleaned every orifice I could find, & there was a lot of gum. That's weird because I drained all the gas out of it last fall when I put it away. I even ran the engine till it sucked the fuel line dry. I'll probably just buy a rebuild kit next week. 6PM & Charley is here, & it's raining hard. Nothing like Florida got, but it's coming down.

mcate said:
I've been tinkering with it all day, & I was thinking about replacing the float. I took it out & put it in a cup of water & it floated.

Well, gasoline is lighter than water, so a float that is saturated with gasoline may sink in gasoline but float in water.

Might still be a float problem.

Back