Raced two trans ams last night

mn12freak

Nobody is posting anything so here's something I did last night...

Got up about 3:10 am, went for a drive...Hit the long highway going way out into nowhere out here, settled in for a long cruise.

Two minutes into it two trans ams get on the road right ahead of me, one looks like a 1989 or so, the other is about a 99...

I do a little flyby at around 90 mph, they were driving like the knew each other...no response though.

I go about 1/2 mile ahead and just cruise at about 75 mph. Sure enough they start running against each other and i see headlights getting closer behind me. As they got closer one pulled in fron of the other in order to pass, I waited until they were about to catch up to me and dropped it into fourth and started a hard pull to fifth.

They both went for it ;)

Both of them pulled pretty good, but the newer one was faster for sure, he got within about one car length before I got to fifth, i hit fifth and started creeping away, three cars, four cars, by the time i buried the speedo he knew it was over, but he wouldn't give up. I finally quit (i estimate) at about 140-145 mph. He had to give up before then though because of a speed limiter I am guessing. about 10 miles later (no joke) the old one did a flyby and turned, the other one had more respect...he came up behind me (to see what my car was maybe?) then turned after the other one.

Bet that doesn't happen to them often...chalk up some more respect for the superchickens of the world :D

mmm good kills. what mods?? you should be packin if you beat a ls1 on top end haha. gears it sounds like becuase you shifted to fifth before burying the needle but just curious to know what you got.

I think he had a speed limiter, my two pontiacs did

I'm still bone stock believe it or not, just a very healthy low mile car (5 spd 89) and just in case it crossed your mind, I'm pretty sure they had it floored :) I bet if they weren't limited it woulda been a lot closer for sure

LT1's, if they came with m-s tires, had speed limits. I believe all LS1's don't have a speed chip.

I had my 1995 Firebird formula auto up to 160 and still had RPM's to spare.

Thanks for the info

90blkbrd said:
LT1's, if they came with m-s tires, had speed limits. I believe all LS1's don't have a speed chip.

I had my 1995 Firebird formula auto up to 160 and still had RPM's to spare.

Formula firebirds are freakin sweet...nylon air intakes, never get hot ;)

An ls1 f-body or c5 vette would smoke a stock sc 5spd or auto easily at highway speeds( especially at higher speeds).Sorry to rain on your parade but if the newer firebird was an ls1 , he shut down early and wasnt trying to take you in the top end.

No raining on this parade my friend

I am a former GM fanatic, at least until I discovered the mn12 series of cars, I know my F bodies pretty well, and you can be sure that I know what a C5 will do...and you can be sure this was an LT1 I was running with.

oh...and you wanna see a C5 sweat an Lt1???

Go get yourself a 1993 Firebird Formula Firehawk and see what an LT1 is capable of. Look it up :)

mn12freak said:
Go get yourself a 1993 Firebird Formula Firehawk and see what an LT1 is capable of. Look it up :)

An LT1 stock Firehawk is still heads and tails above an LS1. Looks like you are victim to good marketing . . . 300 Hp and 325 TQ . . . oh sound alot like an LS1.

Dave

gotta admit, I'm not quite sure what you're saying... :)

Big Cat Davo said:
An LT1 stock Firehawk is still heads and tails above an LS1. Looks like you are victim to good marketing . . . 300 Hp and 325 TQ . . . oh sound alot like an LS1.

Dave
:confused:

The part I was referring to is what they do 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile...it's freakin rediculous, maybe that's what you are saying too, I can't really figure it out. :rolleyes:

mn12freak said:
:confused:

The part I was referring to is what they do 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile...it's freakin rediculous, maybe that's what you are saying too, I can't really figure it out. :rolleyes:

Oops, there was supposed to be a not in there. As in not heads and tails above an LS1. There are plenty of Stock LS1's f-body that run 1/4's deep into the 13's.

Dave

Back