running rich.. help

darkstar_one

i noticed today, i was kinda running a lil rich, blue white smoke, coming out of the tail pipes on the freeway, well this just started to happen after i removed my SC BELT and unplugged the octane plug to save gas, i have been puttin 87 octane in it after i removed the belt and removed the plug. anyone?

well of course its going to run rich. The stock eec program is designed to run at a WOT a/f ratio of 10.98:1.....so basically 11:1. This is a little rich on an SC car, but its a safe setting for a factory car. It all equals out because once you add more air via the blower, the car is running high loads, but the a/f ratio is correct.

Now on the other hand, if you remove the belt, very very very little air is getting into the motor. The computer is still going to dump in the extra fuel, and still shoot for an 11:1 ratio. because thats what its comanded to do. N/A cars run about 13:1, and you're running 11:1. So there isn't much you can do about it.

Honestly...i think removing the sc belt is a waste of time, I mean, come on, how much more can 93 be over the 87? Here its $2.08 for 93 and $1.89 for 87, thats only a few cents and adds up to about a dollor when you fill it up. Heck you spend over a buck on a bottle of soda.

As for removing the octane plug, that wont save you any gas mileage. All it does is retard the ignition about 4 deg under wot, so there is no detonation with a lower octane gas.

IMO, i think you'll see the same gas mileage and its not worth all the added trouble. Just put the belt back on, and drive the car normally. It wont suck down gas if you drive it like a Caddy. Just my opinion though..... :cool:

hmmmm.... hmmm.... so i see u have one hell of a point, well, i also took it off to stop me from getting into trouble... well, now i have to burn off the remaining 87 octane gasoline which is half of the freaking tank, well ok kool, i will buy the gator back and pop it in, thanx man.

hmm so if you run race gas you can unplug the octane plug and be faster or what?? how does it work and where is it located?

92redsc said:
hmm so if you run race gas you can unplug the octane plug and be faster or what?? how does it work and where is it located?

you've got it backwards. If you are running race gas, it is of higher octane...usally 100 or 104. And most times it has alcohol in it as well. With a higher octane gas you can run more timing without detonation because the race gas( or any high octane gas) ignites at a higher temp. So basically pre-ignition wont occur. Pulling the plug retards the timing at WOT about 4 deg. This reduction in timing would reduce performance. With a higher octane gas such as race fuel you are able to advance the ignition much higher than stock and still not detonate. The higher the advance, the more power you will get, to a point of course. The only way you can advance the ignition is with an eec tuner or a chip.

At the track i was able to run fairly high timing while using n20 only because i was running 104. If i were to run those numbers on the street...i'd most likely grenade the thing.

Oh the octane plug is located on the back side of the pass wheel well. Under the hood, there are a bunch of wires, Its a grey plug, rectangle in shape, size is about 1 inch. You shouldn't have to remove it during the life of your SC, as i dont see any gain in it at all.

right, ok thanks for clearing that up. i thought it meant with it in it retards the timing. but ok thanks again.

Actually the plug can be a big help if you travel or live in areas where only 91 octane gas is available. Also on long trips or when the car is used only for transportation purposes where cost is a concern, I find that pulling the octane plug and running 89 octane fuel works fine and saves money as long as you keep the boost down. Ok, sometimes I'm a cheapo. :D

my area sucks. it goes 86-88-90 octanes haha so the gas sucks here. there are about 4 places in town to get 91 and its like 5 cents more than the dang 90!!! ha so i just put 90 in and take it pretty easy with the occasional romp. cant hear any preignition or anything so its ok.

there is nothing but 91 octane here, i never ever had a problem with it, running a full 12 PSI of boost and nothing baby, nothing.

i believe or octane sucks in the west because we have no CORN around here to add to the fuel, well anyways. no problems here

Back