B&M ripper Pro

snakesm13

ok i have searched for a while now and haven't found a direct answer "will the B&M ripper pro fit an '89 SC stock tranny?? or is it just the B&M ripper that is a direct bolt on?" thanx for the help

shane

I beleive the ripper and the pro ripper are the same shifter. Maybe the pro ripper was the older one with the adjustable stops? You are looking at the ripper shifter specifically for the m5r2/supercoupe tranny, yes? No mustang shifter will work that I know of.

yes specifically for the m5r2/supercoupe tranny... and if ive searched correctly the ripper is the only short shifter made for this tranny correct? and ive seen some for around $159, so if there are any cheaper or better ones would someone please fill me in thanx
shane

That is the only short throw shifter made for the SC. Quite a few 5 speed owners have that shifter and have claimed to be quite happy with it.

Search on the term "ripper" and I'm sure you'll find the posts.

yeh i have search quite a bit and found it to be the only one.. and seems as though many are very satisfied with it and am prolly ordering one tomorrow along w/ my 10% pulley

yes tell us how that goes. i am still debating on the 10 or 5% so maybe you can tell me how that 10 works for you. and i am debating on a ripper. does it make the throw short like say a 96-98 cobra? that was the best shifter i have ever felt. oh but it did have a pro 5.0 shifter.

yeh i was debating on the 5 or 10.... but i just said screw it b/c i want the 10.... i have aftermarket exhaust... but does anyone know of any good headers? thats prolly my next project, and would you suggest that b4 the pulley?

I would first get a double intercooler at the very least with that 10% pulley. You're going to find intake air temps quite a bit higher sooner than you are used to.

I would also suggest you take a hard look at the new intake manifold that's coming out of Randy's creative hands. I haven't seen prices yet but it's not going to be cheap. But it won't be out of hand either.

Here is one thread where he's posted info.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49616

I'd save up for that intake manifold before I'd worry about headers.

will a 5% make intake temps go up dramaticly or not as bad?? my car already runs kinda hot. if you idle for any amount of time after the engine is warm it kicks on the low speed fan.

A positive displacement supercharger (which is what we have) moves a fixed amount of air for every revolution of the input shaft. Compressing air creates heat. The amount of heat created is a function of the amount of compression and the efficiency of the supercharger. The M90, while more efficient than a Roots type blower, is still fairly inefficient.

In addition, as you attempt to compress more and more air, it takes more and more power to turn this input shaft.

So as SC input shaft RPM increases there is an increase in:
1) Air moving through the blower
2) Heat transfered to the air
3) HP stolen from the engine

Eventually you get to a inputshaft RPM that adds so much heat that the amount of energy needed to turn the shaft, is greater than the energy that can be added to the engine via the SC.

The stock setup of the SC engine uses a very small and inneficient Air to Air intercooler to attempt to reduce the heat left in the air before it enters the engine. This works pretty well stock. But it quickly can reach it's limit of transfering heat.

Why I say all of the above is so that you understand that by placing a smaller pulley on the SC input shaft, you are going to turn the SC input shaft faster for a known engine RPM than if it had the stock pulley on it. That means that if the Intercooler became heat soaked at 5100rpm, it now may become heat soaked at 4700rpm. If the HP required to turn the SC was 40hp at 3000rpm, that 40hp will now be needed at 2600rpm.

These are just numbers I'm pulling out of my hat, but the theory is the same. Turning the SC faster (which is what a 5% or 10% pulley does) moves the power increase earlier in the power band, but also moves the power draw, and the heat generation earlier into the power band.

Thus a 5% pulley will give you a little kick and likely not drag the bad aspects of heat and HP robbery too low into the power band. Make sure your exhaust is free flowing and you'll be good to go.

A 10% pulley will give you a kick but it will drag many of the bad aspects into the lower reaches of the powerband. Thus, at least in my mind, a 10% pulley necessitates some other upgrades to be fully taken advantage of and not have it make things worse. I.e. better intercooler, bigger throttle body, bigger MAF.

yeh so ive heard..... ive done lots of research and realized w/my set up i think 5% is better for now.... b/c i gotta get a new alternator now that mine is overcharging :mad: suxors but great explaination and thanx for the help Mike8675309, and all other

shane

Last edited:
Back