PDA

View Full Version : M5R2 questions...

boostwhat
08-15-2004, 08:33 PM
What can I do to strengthen the tranny? It cannot handle alot apparently. What amout of hp/tq can a stock trans handle? I am going 7.90's 1/8 in my 89. Every time i really beat on it the trans is out the next day. Are there any alternative transmissions? Stronger years? THanks Derek

XR7 Dave
08-15-2004, 08:52 PM
What can I do to strengthen the tranny? It cannot handle alot apparently. What amout of hp/tq can a stock trans handle? I am going 7.90's 1/8 in my 89. Every time i really beat on it the trans is out the next day. Are there any alternative transmissions? Stronger years? THanks Derek You are too abusive on the tranny. I'm running quicker than that with no issues at all. I've never broken anything in a tranny with over 100 passes on it.

To answer your question, no I am not aware of any upgrades.

Slysc
08-15-2004, 10:01 PM
Dave,

This guy said he's running 7.90s in the 1/8th mile and you said that you were going faster than that. The timeslip you have posted for the XR7 says 7.98 or something like that. How is that faster?

As far as the amount of torque these tran's can handle, I'm not sure what the number is but I've never heard of anyone breaking one from too much torque. All I've heard of is scrapping out syncros. They are a tough trans.

Derek,
Just curious, if your running a 7.90 1/8th mile, what kind of 1/4 mile time are you getting? There aren't many 5 speeds going that fast.

Dan

XR7 Dave
08-15-2004, 10:05 PM
Dan, those are some impressive times! What have you done to get from 12.9 to 12.4??? People don't make those kind of jumps easily! Congrats!!!

NITRO
08-15-2004, 10:09 PM
The M5R2 is just likje any other Transmission. When you rebuild it what are you replacing? Have you inspected the main Shaft Thouroughly? It is noy uncommon for them to get damaged.

For those interested We have all parts in stock for the M5R1 and M5R2.

Contact us at [email protected] for prices.

Slysc
08-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Dan, those are some impressive times! What have you done to get from 12.9 to 12.4??? People don't make those kind of jumps easily! Congrats!!!

Dave,

I'll send you an e-mail with the details. (I don't want to hijack the thread) :)

Mike8675309
08-16-2004, 10:21 AM
What can I do to strengthen the tranny? It cannot handle alot apparently. What amout of hp/tq can a stock trans handle? I am going 7.90's 1/8 in my 89. Every time i really beat on it the trans is out the next day. Are there any alternative transmissions? Stronger years? THanks Derek

Sounds like you might be abusing the transmission or there is some other issue inside the transmission. There are people running over 400 ft/lbs of torque (at the wheels) through these transmissions with under 13 second quarter mile times and no unusual transmission problems.

Can you describe how you are shifting at the track and what "trans is out" specifically might mean?