warming up the tires

92redsc

at the drag strip while doing the warm up, the car shakes horribly. is this wheel hop? it doesnt feel like it could possibly be good for the car. how do i smoke the tires without wheel hop or whatever this is??? its a 5 speed also.

Sure is wheel hop. Don't do it. Anytime that stuff starts you have to let out of it or you will break something eventually.

Make sure your diff mounts and rear suspension components are in good shape. Stiff shocks help. Welcome to the 5spd SC world. :cool:

well that sucks. hmmm im just trying to figure out the best way to heat the tires. i guess air bags?????? and how do i check all the stuff in the rear to make sure its in good working condition???

92redsc said:
well that sucks. hmmm im just trying to figure out the best way to heat the tires. i guess air bags?????? and how do i check all the stuff in the rear to make sure its in good working condition???
are you setting the suspension in firm before starting the burnout?

mmm yes the time i did, it didnt hop at all and the time i forgot it did but i didnt realize that until now. i guess it helps so thanks for reminding me. oh and can you get new shocks that still use the auto shocks feature, and work as good or better than stock???

what kind of tires do you have? unless you have drag radials or slicks, "warming up the tires" doesn't really do you any good.

on street tires, doing a long burn-out will just make the tires greasy and you'll spin more and hop more off the line. I found it best to just spin them good and quick to get the sand off.

Now when i launch on the slicks, i do a good healthy burn-out in the water box with the line lock to heat them up. Believe me, those things grab, and no more wheel hop :D I also have suspension work as well as braces, but if you want no hop, get some drag radials or street slicks.

Back