problems...very need help

c.kell

Hi, ( sorry for English mistakes, I speak french and do a lot of efforts :) )

I put a 1990 thunderbird supercharger with all the parts that the job needs in my 1995 mustang but I expect a lot of problems since....the car has 30 000 miles on it.

First problem : a headgasket job was done last year but I have few symptoms...

-The coolant in my overflow tank up but never drops.
-I let my car 2 weeks in the driveway without start up and when I open the radiator cap, coolant splash a lot. ( too much pressure ?? )
-I have bubbles in the overflow tank
-When the thermostat opens once, temp acting like crazy ( up to the middle of "normal" and falls down to "cold", up to the middle, and down again to "cold"...

Second problem : before to put the supercharger, the automatic tranny worked very good...but now, it's very painful.

-when I pass from "park" to "reverse", I must give gas if not, the car would die...same thing when I pass from "reverse" to "neutral" etc...
-when I accelerate and break hard, the car will die...
-when the car become to be hot, the shifts are very long and it seems to hesitate a lot before shifting...

that's it...I have no white smoke, I did a compression test and everything was ok...the car run and boost great ( before the tranny become to be hot )
some guys did the same job before and said to me that the tranny can hold the setup without trouble...

:( all the problems was occur the first time that we tested the car at the shop ( garage ? i don't think if it's the good word hehe ) ...and before everything was good...SCT chip if you want to know

thanx a lot

If there are bubbles in the overflow tank as well as a huge pressure surge when you pull off the radiator cap, then you may have a headgasket problem. It is normal for the fluid level to rise and fall in the overflow tank as the coolant expands and retracts with temperature, not much, but significant, nonetheless. If you t-stat is sticking, it could be causing problems with your temperature fluxuations. May also be your radiator cap as well, how old is it?

As far as the tranny issues, could be a number of things. I have a bad shudder in my 94 auto when going into reverse or drive. Tried lots of different things still can't find the problem. A code scanner revealed too much fuel at idle, which may explain this as well as my stalling problem, but who knows. I would say run a diagnostic scan and see what codes come up. This gives you a descent idea on where to start. Best of luck.

If your car sat for 2 weeks without running and there was still pressure in the cooling system, then it can't be a leak. Are you sure about that?

If the tempurature gauge is fluctuating then you have air pockets in the cooling system. This will also explain why the reservoir does not rise up and down with temperature changes. You have to get the air out. Once you get the air out, then if it comes back you have leaking headgaskets.

Surging and stalling on idle is usually caused by either a vacuum leak of an incorrect MAF tranfer function. Make sure all the parts are correct and then get to a chassis dyno to verify your AF ratio.

the radiator cap and the thermostat are brand new ( I begin by checking these cheap solutions )

Yeah when I get the air out, it's ok for one week, but the problem come back everytime...

If I have a headgasket problem, the car is not suppose to running very bad ?? or to have white smoke ??

I change the water pump for a t-bird one, ( used ) can it be the problem ??

for the tranny, does the MAF could affect the shift ?? because when Justin from SCT does the chip for me, he said that my MAF was very border line to keep a good ratio with my injectors...

thanx for your help !
I'm waiting for new input :)

One last possibility on the cooling issue. If you have a leak or blockage in the line running from the radiator cap to the coolant overflow tank then it may not be able to vent to the overlow tank properly. Blow air through the line and make sure it is clear and then also make sure that the ends of the hose are clamped tight.

Other than that it sounds like you still have a headgasket issue.

What MAF are you using? The MAF should not really have any affect on shifting. I assume you are using an AOD?

Back