checking traction-lok

92redsc

i was wondering the easiest way to check a traction lok. and no i dont mean burn the tires off and see if it leaves two marks hahah even though that is fun. but is there a way or what and when should you usually have it rebuilt around 100k? im around 965xx and i think my drivers side tire is getting most of the power but im not for sure cause i also thought it was usually passenger side. hmm.

u see the thing here is, the tire with the less traction will get the power first then the other one kicks in, if u really dont want to worry about that anymore, get a NO SLIP TRUE LOCK DIFFERENTIAL from POWERTRAX. Both wheels get the same equal amount, around 400 bucks, i would get it, if i had the money

To see if it's working at all you can jack the rear up and spin one wheel. If the opposite wheel moves in the same direction, the track loc is intact but could be worn badly. If the opposite wheel moves in the opposite direction then the Track Loc isn't functioning at all or it's an open diff.

Here is the book way:

A Traction-Lok differential can be checked for proper operation without removing it from the axle housing using procedure outlined below:
  1. Raise and support one rear wheel, then remove the wheel cover.
  2. Install adapter for Traction-LOK differential tool No. T66L-4204-A or equivalent, then connect a torque wrench of at least a 200 foot pound capacity.
  3. Rotate the axle shaft. Ensure the transmission is in Neutral, one wheel is on the floor, and the other rear wheel is raised off the floor.
  4. The breakaway torque required to start rotation should be at least 40 ft. lbs. The initial breakaway torque may be higher than the continuous turning torque, this is considered normal.
  5. The axle shaft should turn with even pressure throughout the check without slipping or binding. If the torque reading is less than specified, check the differential for improper assembly

well both wheels turn the same way. and i havnt tried the other way but i might, for now im just happy to know its still functioning. it has quite a few miles but the people that had this car before me drove it very nicely.

Back