octane

Ia92SUPRCUPE

Ive seen all over these threads to never use a gasoline with an octane rating lower than 89...they all say to use 91. But is there an octane too high? I had to fill up the other day and the only gas station i found with octane over 89 had 93. So I had to fill up with that. Is this gonna cause problems or am i allright? Since then the idle seems to have gotten worse. Shakes more.
Input anyone??

if you're on the west coast all you're gonna find is 91. 93 is more towards central east coast. dont know why, but ive noticed this. maybe im wrong. there is no such thing as too much octane. on a stock motor you're not going to see much gains, but on a highly modified engine the higher octance allows you to run more timing, hence more power, without preignition or detonation. on forced induction cars you can also run more boost..its not that simple, but thats a part of it. as far as the rough idling, go back to the gas station and see if they put ethanol in the gas. it should say it on the pump somewhere. ive put gas with ethanol in my car once and it didnt run as well. maybe thats it.

to my knowledge running higher octane gas isn't bad for your car. there aren't any places in des moines with 93 anymore :( so i have to use an additive with the 91 octane i put in there.

The best gas for your car is the one with the lowest octane rating without making the motor ping. I use 93 on the street, but will run 91 at the track. Using 91 on the street makes it ping on really hot days.

Josh, come to Ames. 4 gas stations here carry 93 :D

-Thomas

Back