temp gauge mod?

Bleed_Ford_Blue

I was wondering if it is possible to modify an afermarket water temp gauge to give air temp. I want an intake air temp gauge but The only ones I can find are in the $200+ range and thats a buch o bucks for a gauge.

I asked this before, only I was seeing if there was interest in getting the Autometer Air Temp gauge. People replied to use oven temperature thermometers and/or computer thermometers (like for processers and things). They're digital readouts, and if you think about it it would work.

Just relaying what was said to me before.

Nick

Or.. just tap off the existing ACT sensor with a high impedance input such as a voltmeter. You'll have to either find the specs for the sensor, or calibrate the output.

I plan to calibrate my coolant sensor because I don't trust the guage right now. Easy enough, you just sit it in a pan of room temp water and measure the resistance. Then you heat it and raise temperature and take readings while you do so. You can then plot resistance vs. temperature which will be a line which you can then later use to readout the actual running temps. Obviously theres some wiring rigging involved to use it in a running car and to get a readout of actual temp will require some extra circuitry, but it should work just fine and doesn't involve drilling and tapping out holes in manifolds ;)

Have you tried the processor temp sensor yet? Where do you get them. I was hoping for something I could put in my a-pillar pod. SCfan, that stuff is so complicated you would have to be an electrical engineer to understand it.

Back