Help: RPM's buck down and engine dies

NickGuy34

I have an 89 xr7 SC. When I am either driving in gear, in neautral slowing down, or even at a stop.. Out of no where my rpm's meter will start bucking down real fast about 500 or so rpm, like it is going to die, then goes back on. TI will do this a couple of times, and sometimes it will finally just go to 0 then the car will Die. Then sometimes while I am still rolloing to a stop, it will turn it self back on. But like most tiems I am stuck on the side of the road tryin to start my car for 5 minutes. So far it has always started back up after a long hard time on the battery. I had the fuel pump and filter changed, after a diagnosis from an ASE(bullhonky) mechanic tested it out for 80 and siad that was definately the problem. Anyone have thsi problem or any suggestions. Is somethin going out, maybe the computer, supercharger, Engine!!!! I always have plenty of oil pressure, and the car normaly runs perfect, no slugging problems other than those occurances.

Has to be a air to fuel ratio problem..

Not enough fuel or too much air... Do you have any vacume leaks? If the fuel pump and filter was just replaced I would rule that out. Hey you might have got a bad pump or filter ... Anyway too much air getting in can cause a lean problem in the left and right banks and can cause car to stall and not restart for a few minutes... I had to learn this when I took out my air filter what a mistake that was .. GOOD LUCK.

Back