PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Get Air Out Of My Cooling System?

Jeremy_K
08-19-2004, 11:28 AM
I was wondering how to get the air out of my cooling system? when i did a flush and tstat i think i got quite a bit of air into the system. also my temp guage needle bounces around from time to time. thanks for any help.

darkstar_one
08-19-2004, 11:40 AM
jack up the car from the front the highest u can, unscrew the bolt that is on the thermostat housing, it sticks out, take off the radiator top and pour water until it starts to overflow from the thermostat housing bolt, when it starts pouring out close the bolt and put the radiator top back on.

J57ltr
08-19-2004, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't bother jacking the car up, but fill the system with the bolt removed (use a wrench on the bottom or you will twist the tube). Then after you top off the system including the overflow.

Then drive the car hard for a few minutes, after it's warmed up. Then drive it hard a couple of good times then park the car and allow it to cool for an hour or so. Leave the hood up. After that check the overflow and add if needed. Repeat once more and you should be done. Make sure to leave the AC off so the cooling fans don't run and try to keep the speeds under about 40.

Jeff

Jeremy_K
08-19-2004, 05:06 PM
will that be enough pressure to flow coolant out of the tstat tube or will it overflow the radiator first? :confused:

J57ltr
08-19-2004, 05:08 PM
Just stick the hose into the rad cap until it comes out the vent, then close them off.

Jeff

rlong
08-20-2004, 12:26 AM
i mostly just fill the rad all it will take then start the car for a min then check rad again while its running make sure over flow is half full run it about 1/2 mile at higher rpm so water pump can work . then i make sure its not hot before i open the rad and check it again i try to open it while its still running, then i mostly check the over flow tank the next day or 2 to see if it went down any