Shuts off while driving.

Biff1

1991 SC shuts off intermitenly when driving. It will start back up within of few minutes. Anyone have any ideas. Ignition switch? Crank sensor?
Thanks

Have you checked for any codes yet ?

These cars have amazing EECs And will tell you the problem so you can fix it . Perhaps your fuel pump is getting weak. Do you get any lean bank codes let us know.

Biff1 said:
1991 SC shuts off intermitenly when driving. It will start back up within of few minutes. Anyone have any ideas. Ignition switch? Crank sensor?
Thanks

sure sounds like a crank sensor failure.

If it does not just start back up is the upshift arrow lit while cranking?

It is your crank sensor..... it will soon not restart back up! Get a new one soon, before you get stranded. cause I did. I believe it is around 75 bucks at the dealership. It's not a fairly easy job neither, but can be done in your driveway.... job should take no more than a couple of hours.

Good luck!

Jeff B.

on mine it was crank sensor and fuel pump did that also , it took me a year to figure out my fuel pump finally one day i just tried a new one and that was it

Last edited:
shuts off while driving

I found out last night that when the car shuts off and you try to restart, the shift light is on. I guess i'll try a new crank sensor.

Thanks

Shuts off while driving

Getting ready to replace cranksensor and noticed a little movement in harmonic balancer. Now i'm undecided ( after getting a price on a new balancer) whether to just replace the sensor and hope for the best. I found a used balancer on this forum but it might be just like the one i have. I could replace the sensor and hope for the best, it's only 45.00. I'm not sure if there is enough movement to hurt anything.
Any comments on the movement part?
Car could be for sale anyone interested? 1991 Red SC 5 speed 108,000mi. Motor has recently been overhauled.

Thanks

Any movement at all is not acceptable. Get a new balancer. Best case scenario it's gonna strand you somewhere, worst case scenario the crank breaks as well.

there should be .03 clearance between the ferous vanes and the magnet

you can use a gauge to make sure it is correct you wouldn't want it rubbing. that . Hey that magnetic flux is pretty MAGneatO dudes.........

Back