uhhh powersteering leak?

Billabong089

powersteering leak?

Um my power steering pump was bad but I've been driving with it bad for 2 weeks now, today I noticed a pile of fluid, checked it and it was clear. So I jacked the car up and well it appears that a CV boot-like thing clamp came off at the end and was gushing power steering fluid? What does that mean? is it expensive? Can I reclamp it ? I already bought a new pump, was gonna install it next week.

Last edited:
If fluid is gushing out the boot on the end of the power steering rack, you will most likely need a new or rebuilt rack. Those boots are mostly dust covers for the inner tie rod and are not designed to hold ps fluid under pressure. Some O-rings probably failed on that rack end. Replacement of the rack is not fun! I did it twice this year before going to Carlisle. Once to replace my leaking rack and the second time to replace the leaking rebuilt rack I had installed to replace it!!!!

Replace the Rack and HP hose while yer at it I skipped the hose and in 2 weeks....PPPPFFFFFFFFTTTTTTSSSSSSSSTTTT!!! :rolleyes:

how hard is this? can anyone post me a how to guide? I cant find anything in my ford manual for the steering rack replacement? Do you think overfilling the pump caused the rack to leak?

Is this what I need? http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...ke=10&model=Thunderbird&year=1992&catalogid=1

RACK, Cougar, Thunderbird - POWER 92-97 $73.63

OR should I get this from autozone?

ATSCO RACK & PINION for a 1992 FORD THUNDERBIRD
Unit Price: $94.99
Core Value*: $85.00
Part No.: 6451
Weight: 18.75 lbs.
Warranty: LLT
Availability: Online: Ships within 2 business days
Store: Normally Stocked

Last edited:
thnx I just need to decide whether or not to do it myself... How much do you think labor would be?

Where should I get a replacement rack?

Back