idle and shift problems

lostsoul74

Ok, for now on when something breaks on a car, I'm just going to the auctions and buying another one......
Last year I blew the motor on this pearl 94 sc (auto) 2 months after buying it. Then ofcourse while sitting in driveway, 300 lbs icicle falls and smashes hood and fender. Ok, now it's a year later and my resolution is to get things done. So I finally got a motor for this bird, 4 bills, mechanic said 5 bills for the swap, which ofcourse in the end turns out to be over 800. (any good backyard mechanics up here in rochester NY???) Now I get it back. but yet still having problem with idle and shifting.
last year when the engine blew, and having to drive it back home like that, she continiously stalled and redlined before shifting jerkily. Just summmed it up to the blown motor. but now still having same problems tonight after driving car from shop. Not in the mood to take this thing back and have these say guys it's some 400 dollar job now, so help me out here boys.
I should also add, that shes sat for almost a year with no battery. Could she just be learning again, TPS, or AIC.
I've tried to read up on the threads discussing these, and it seems from whats read that it could be any of these. But at wits end and no more funds for a couple weeks to invest on trial and error sensors and guesswork. I need to know how to test so I know for sure, no funds for just go buy one and findout...
When I start her up she seems to run fine mostly, it's when I put her into gear that she stalls or at least wants to. Or if i'm coming off the highway and coming to a stop, or just any stoplight.
Transmission shifts fine when driving like grampa, but when pushed at all, she hits 5 grand or more before shifting and kicks/jerks pretty rough. Very similiar to how my camaro use to act when I'd blow out another tranny mount. But I looked under her and couldnt "see" any mount problems.
I appreciate the help guys, i've already blew too much on this thing already, just want to finally be done with this project, still have alot to do to her yet but want to feel satisfied that shes running before investing any more time into this.
I'm not a mechanic and dont have a hilton book in front of me, so when you offer suggestions, please tell me how to check these sensors, and exactly where theyre located (not just left engine..) and what they look like (eg. small unit, roughly 1 inch wide, 3 inches deep, 3 wires coming off) stuff like that guys. And again, I really appreciate the help gents. Oh, I should add, it's a 94, but an 89 engine was put in her (it was suppose to be a 94, it came out of a 94, but apparently that one too had a swap before the accident, all 94 parts were used) thnx

Last edited:
it may just need run a few hundred miles to learn everything i know my auto revs high and shifts hard if i rip on it and its older not electronic trans and if batt was unhooked it may stall a few days till it learns

oh I should add that she was alot more ballsy before. For instance, before from a dead stop, I could punch it and burn tread like a bat outa hell. now when I punch it, she just accellerates down the path while winding and jerking at each shift, rather than body being inbedding into seat like before. lack of better words....
did I just beat on her too much when I had her

nevermind guys, turns out I just spent all this money to put in a bad engine, she blew right off the bat, she must of had moisture since it sat for a while and probobly rust onteh bearings or heads or something, crank went right off bat. damnet man.........

Back