Exhaust

supercharged24

If I were to go to an exhaust shop and have them replace the resinator with a stright pipe and cut the mufflers off and run big chrome tips to the back..

1) Would it sound okay or even good?

2)Would it help the restrictivness of the exhaust system any?

Thanks

Chuck Fairchild

i'm def not an expert by any means, but i'm very good at research. most of the info i've read doing searches says that it's not a good idea to remove the resonator and mufflers w/o replacing them w/ something. you get too much drone.
an idea would be to replace them with an "x-pipe" and then run the pipe to the rear. the x-pipe is supposed to be very good at getting the right sound w/o hampering flow.

They are not dual all the way back are they? I think I remember looking under the back end and it splits to dual exhaust at the very end almost. About how much is an X-Pipe? Could I replace the resinator with a straight pipe and put an X-Pipe in for the mufflers? Thanks

supercharged24,

I hope this doesn't segway too much but I've had a little experience with a similar problem. A car that I had experienced a flat mid-range and some heating problems (glowing headers) with a car that I "opened" up. I went from the headers to a 2.5" pipe, then to 3" mufflers that dumped short of the rear end. While this was a SBC 383, I think the semantics are the same with respect to scavenging. I know it sounds crazy, but without enough back pressure the resulting shockwave might not effectively scavenge "all" of the hot gasses from the exhaust port quickly enough.

I know that you definitely want to scavenge as much of the spent gasses when you have a huffer, so I'd suggest that you talk to a pro that can find a happy medium between effective scavenging and back pressure.

I ended up going from 2.5" pipes to 2.5" mufflers, then out to 2.0" tailpipes for a blown SBC 383 66' Nova. Worked great and I got the mid-range back after that. I've thought about doing that to our 95 SC, but have yet to find the golden techno-nugget of information.

Please let us know what you find out...

M Randolph

I am under the understanding that SC's have VERY restrictive exhaust systems, and I am just looking to relief pressure on the Head Gaskets. I didn't get most of that post...lol I feel stupid.

Chuck Fairchild

supercharged24 said:
If I were to go to an exhaust shop and have them replace the resinator with a stright pipe and cut the mufflers off and run big chrome tips to the back..

1) Would it sound okay or even good?

2)Would it help the restrictivness of the exhaust system any?

Thanks

Chuck Fairchild

I would say ricey. Also, from my experience on mine, doing that will not really help all that much cause the pipe is too small as it is. My exhaust ended at the stock resonator and it was still too restrictive. Thought removing the back half of it was worth about 2 to 3 tenths of a second.

supercharged24 said:
I am under the understanding that SC's have VERY restrictive exhaust systems, and I am just looking to relief pressure on the Head Gaskets. I didn't get most of that post...lol I feel stupid.

Chuck Fairchild

to my understanding, it's actually the upper exhaust that is the most restrictive. The Cats which have a 90 degree bend in them as well as the resonator. i'm planning on replacing the downtubes and resonator with the SCP downtubes attached to their high flow cats into a magnaflow resonator. i'm going to leave the rest stock.

vivisex666 said:
to my understanding, it's actually the upper exhaust that is the most restrictive. The Cats which have a 90 degree bend in them as well as the resonator. i'm planning on replacing the downtubes and resonator with the SCP downtubes attached to their high flow cats into a magnaflow resonator. i'm going to leave the rest stock.
Technically speaking, only the driver's side CAT has a 90° bend in it. Regardless, replacing the stock CATs with aftermarket ones will definitley help.

Low Restriction

I have a modified '89 XR-7. Exhaust is SCCoA headers, 2.5" down pipes, No Cats, No Resonator, Single 3.5" pipe, back to dual turbo muffs. at the very back. That system is called the Big Dawg. It drones BAD between 1800 & 2000 rpm. Also it sounds very ricey when I race. I don't mind the rice, because the whole objective was to get rid of as much exhaust restriction as possible. The rice sound only bothers people BEHIND me!!!!!!

68COUGAR

Back