How are these machine shop prices?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Im getting ready to take some parts to the machine shop to get worked on but i wanted to run these prices by you. The shop seems to have a good racing background. Here's the prices:
Block work:
*cleaning
*hot tanked
*Cam bearings
*freeze plugs
*all for $175
*squaring the decks/surfaces an extra $80
*cylinder honing an extra $150 ($25 per cyl)
Head work:
*Valve Job
*cleaning
*new seals
*pressure test
*all for $225 for the pair and plus parts if there is something that needs replaced
Also:
*cam polish $25
*crank polish $50...and if it needs to be grinded its going to be $140. Please look at my other post...as im not sure if i might need the crank grinded.

How does this sound? Its going to be a total of about $705 if all is well with my crank and if i dont need a boring job (which i dont think). Thanx for any help.

Sounds.....

Sounds about the price my machine shop charged. I think your only supposed to polish the crank. Turning it weakens it allowing it to break. I suppose if your stock shouldn't do much harm but you might want to consult with others before you do that.

pretty expensive for a hone job..... The places around here are like 65 per block, rather than 25 per bore. Just my opinion though. The rest seems reasonable.

I'm glad I live out here. Cleaning the block, freeze plugs, cam bearings all for $135. Polish crank-$20, a grind job is $60, and cylinders are $12 each. But we are a country apart. Do me a favor and keep those prices over there, LOL. As for the crank grind, it's a split fence type thing, some say it's O.K. and some say no. My machinist said no, but Ford dealer****s sell them everyday with as much as .035 cut off. :eek: :confused:

Biggin'

i'm paying $65 for a hot tank and magnaflux of the block.

$175 for a ballance of the crank, flywheel, BHJ ballancer, and pulley.

I think it's $50 for installation of cam bearings (but i'm gonna do that).
and
$60 or so for a hone/cleaning of the cylinders.

Whew, I'm really lucky.....

Hot tank-free
Magnafluxing- 10.00
Cam Bearings- Free
square the deck-40.00
cylinder boring and honing-free
valve job-free
crank polishing-20.00
crank turning- 60.00

It helps having access to a boring bar, valve grinding machine, hot tank, and the tools to put in the cam bearings. Any idiot with a hammer can put in freeze plugs, but we do it for free when we machine a block. The only thing I haven't got yet is a surfacing machine and Magnafluxing setup, but they'll come soon. Business wise, it's not worth the money for me to buy the crank machine, because it takes a lot of time to turn a crankshaft.

Back