Alternator problems (numerous)

ILikeFtLbs

Ok, so my alternator and voltage regulator keep going, but I don't know why. The first time, the alternator kept juicing up too high above 2,000 RPMs and it would charge 17v through everything including the radio, ignition, and air conditioning, and blew out the radio and air conditioning control panel wiring as well as the memory fuse in the engine bay. So I replaced the 110w, but it broke again. Now the thing's only pushing 11v under full load and my indicator light is coming on. This is only 2 weeks after I put it in. I did have a new power steering pump installed Tuesday, but since the belts have an auto tensioner, I figure overtightening isn't causing the problem.

Any ideas? Is there a typical wiring problem that could be causing this? Could something be sending a reverse current back into the volatge regulator and killing it? I'm dying here with these things running $300 a pop!

Since you've replaced the alternator and voltage regulator to no avail, I suggest you check the external wiring that connects to the regulator via the three pin plug as follows:-
a) Unplug the connector from the regulator.
b) With the ignition switch off, the voltage at the yellow/white wire on the plug should be the same as the battery voltage.
c) With the ignition switch at the RUN position (and the engine off), the voltage at the light green/red wire on the plug should be the same as the battery voltage.
If either b) or c) fails, the voltage will not be regulated correctly.

Back