Newbie with a few questions.

1990_XR7SC

Hi guys I have been reading things on the board for a while and have been using the search option but still have had no luck. I just purchased a 1990 XR7 and I have a few minor problems. the first problem is I have a bad miss from 1000-2100rpm with no load(just free reving) and the car is hard to start after it is at normal operating temprature and shut down. If the car sets and cools down it starts fine.(I'm going to check the alchahol content of the fuel tomorrow to see if the fuel is boiling away when the rail is heat soaked) and my last question is how do you reset the oil change light? I am a volvo technician and I have a good grasp with things, I just thought I would see if it's possibly a common problem that could save me some time by asking you guys. :)

Thanks, george

1990_XR7SC said:
Hi guys I have been reading things on the board for a while and have been using the search option but still have had no luck. I just purchased a 1990 XR7 and I have a few minor problems. the first problem is I have a bad miss from 1000-2100rpm with no load(just free reving) and the car is hard to start after it is at normal operating temprature and shut down. If the car sets and cools down it starts fine.(I'm going to check the alchahol content of the fuel tomorrow to see if the fuel is boiling away when the rail is heat soaked) and my last question is how do you reset the oil change light? I am a volvo technician and I have a good grasp with things, I just thought I would see if it's possibly a common problem that could save me some time by asking you guys. :)

Thanks, george

George, I would only be guessing what your problem is...could be your DIS module. Iam sure that there are some members that are farmiliar with this problem. As for the oil reset....that is easy. From what I remember (have not drove my '90 XR7 for 3 years) you turn your ignition key to the "ON" position without starting your car....then within 15 seconds, insert a paper clip into the hole near the change light and hold until it resets.

John

well i say u make sure ur plugs are gapped right. should be at .054.
also, try pulling the codes... see if it has thrown some out with the past owner. As for the not starting thingy... i would check the wiring on the starter solenoid located on the fender by the battery and fuse box. mines would do that until i found out it was sort of loose like a moose. if u do pull the codes come back and tell us what they are so we can troubleshoot them. latez.

thanks for the info guys. I'll check codes here in a minuet. but I think I may have an idea whats going on. I'm only getting about 12 in vac at Idle warmed up. I live at 6400ft so I'm not sure if thats normal for a SC car. as for the hard start condition. I'm getting a excessive cranktime no start.(like it is loosing risidual fuel pressure) I'll check in, in a few to update you guys. thanks for the help.

Back