help its gutless (sc powered stang) best time 16.085

scotte

hi i'm in need of some help

my car 98 mustang with 92 sc motor weighin in at 3910 w/ driver and half tank

with the following

94 self ported blower,cai,80mm maf,raised top,ic fan,180 thermostat chip by fordchip,30lbers,255lph fuel pump,10% pulley,asp underdrives,i took the big bottom lip by the valve off on the exhuast side of the heads off,comp cams cam with .493 lift 210 int 220 ext, longtubes,no crossover,stock 00 gt catback(could the stock muffler do this?),3.73 gears with posi

the car hooked pretty good but after 2500-3000 it just has no power (ie the people in the stands can see the car slow down the best run of the night was 16.085 with a 2.2 60ft and that was icing everything and pushing the car in line to run it cool. i'm making good boost 15lbs. my dad said maybe my rocker arms are maxing out and so i'm only getting x amount of lift? is this possible with my cam?

I noticed you still have 30lb injectors on the car. I'd say with the 94 ported blower, and cam; you're pushing those injectors to their limit. I could be wrong, but that's where I'd start. There was a reason Ford went to 36lb ones on the 94/95 SC's.

Id say you have Multiple issues

For one 10% Blower pulley on a 94 supercharger is like OD the blower 13%
Id go with either a 5% Blower pulley or a stock 89-93 blower pulley (which equals 3% OD on a 94 supercharger)

Second thing as addressed already is those 30# Inj are prob too small for your mods You are prob leaning out up top thats why you feel power loss at Higher RPM

The third thing is You are overdriving the blower 13% and I dont see a double I/C listed in your MODS I dont know if your able to fit a double in a mustang
OD the blower increase air temps and If you have a stock I/C that deffinately isnt enough

Id reccomend one of the following options as far as I/C
1.Build your self a custom FMIC
2. Try a double I/C
3. At the very least put an intercooler fan on your I/C at least this would help cool the charge a lil bit

This is Just for starters Ther may be other issues that need to be addressed

[94 self ported blower,cai,80mm maf,raised top,ic fan ,180 thermostat chip by fordchip,30lbers,255lph fuel pump,10% pulley,asp underdrives,i took the big bottom lip by the valve off on the exhuast side of the heads off,comp cams cam with .493 lift 210 int 220 ext, longtubes,no crossover,stock 00 gt catback(could the stock muffler do this?),3.73 gears with posi /QUOTE]

Conan56 said:
For one 10% Blower pulley on a 94 supercharger is like OD the blower 13%
Id go with either a 5% Blower pulley or a stock 89-93 blower pulley (which equals 3% OD on a 94 supercharger)

Second thing as addressed already is those 30# Inj are prob too small for your mods You are prob leaning out up top thats why you feel power loss at Higher RPM

The third thing is You are overdriving the blower 13% and I dont see a double I/C listed in your MODS I dont know if your able to fit a double in a mustang
OD the blower increase air temps and If you have a stock I/C that deffinately isnt enough

Id reccomend one of the following options as far as I/C
1.Build your self a custom FMIC
2. Try a double I/C
3. At the very least put an intercooler fan on your I/C at least this would help cool the charge a lil bit

This is Just for starters Ther may be other issues that need to be addressed

i have the same cam as you, and i'm running 13.4's. This is on a stock 92 blower though :D So when my new blower comes i should see 12's. Something dont seem right with your set-up. I was going to say something about the blower. but seems your making good boost. A lot of times, self ported blowers dont work well, but you seem to be getting good boost. If you're not running any sort of IC, thats your problem. Blower outlet temps can reach 450deg. and it kills performance. After my stock IC with a fan i'm measuring 130deg at WOT. BUild some sort of front mount for that thing. Get some sticky tires. Also what heads are you running. Its possible that its not enough for that cam. Are you using 1.73 ratio rockers? Did you get new length pushrods? I also dont see a bigger TB in there. You're injectors are def. maxed out and you need at least 36's but i'd shoot for 38's. with a custom tune and a MAF to match.

Last edited:
i'm running the stock sc ic / tubes arangment with an ic fan

im using the stang puter but chip but the chip hasnt been updated for all my mods

using all stock valvetrain exept for longer pushrods and cam

heads are basicly stock but i ported the exhuast side a little

Last edited:
Knock Sensor

I have a 10% on my '89 blower. When I still had my original IC, I was hitting the knock sensor hard at 3000 rpm. Stayed on the knock sensor from 3000 to 5300 when I got out of it. Just putting a DIC w/450 cfm 8" fan on the car took 1/3 sec. off my time. Now I have a 900 cfm 10" fan, and a CO2 spray bar on the front of the DIC. Getting the heat out of the incoming air charge, makes a world of difference.

I also have a Coy Milller stage 1 cam, 36 lb injectors, 70mm MAF, raised top, Underdrives, headers & Big Dawg exhaust.

Excellent advice from the other guys too!!!!!

68COUGAR

You need to talk to a member that goes by the screen name of BKB.
He has a Mustang with an SC engine using the stock Mustang ECU and he knows how to program it for the SC motor. Theres a big difference between the 2 ECU's and that may be your problem. Look BKB up in the members listing and Email or PM him I think he may be of help to you.

Why is your Mustang so heavy

one word "driver"

i also let a friend drive ( he's skinny and he has a 12 sec stang and he knows how to drive and i made better times than he did)

255lph fuel pump

how could i be cutting out timing (no knock sensors on a stang)

i do think its time for old pulley

i emailed my tuner with my changes and i'm going to see what he thinks

i think injecters are in order

i was running 100 octane unleaded

will high inlet temps and or running lean cause it to massivly lose power above a certain point ?

does anybody see my mufflers as a problem

Crap yeah..Stang computer...Perhaps for your new mods the old tune is just way off..The stock exhaust although bad..Shouldnt affect it that much.

Was the cam degreed?

Definately lower the boost though

So lemme get this straight:

You're running a supercharger on a N/A program with no knock/spark retard-under-boost capability, and borderline too-small injectors into the bargain? How is it that you're not picking up pieces of the engine from the track?

Anyway, I'd expect that air charge temps are outrageous and the thing is pinging really bad. Power will stop right when it starts clattering, knock retard or not because pre-ignition/detonation doesn't make power. You need a smooth burn of the air/fuel mix to make power.

ok i changed back to a stock 89 pulley and the removed the thermostat

boost is now 12 psi and inlet temp is 130 after two consecutive 0-100 runs

the chip is for a sc motor ive just done some things to it after the tune (cam headers, swaping to the late model sc etc...

the cam was not degree'd it does have the 4 degree advance in it (stock advance)

seemed to start slower but it felt like it pulled evenly across the board

I really think your tune may be off and causing alot of this. By changing cam and going to headers that changed the airflow through the engine enough it needs to be tuned for. The cam you have should not nose over as soon in the RPM range as you report your engine doing.....even with 4 degs advance in it. That cam should pull pretty good to about 6 grand if your springs are right. Thats what leads me to believe the tune is off.

Before you go changing anything else, get a WB02 on it and see what is really happening. Sure you need bigger injectors, but you also need to make more power. 30lb injectors will keep up until 275rwhp and 4500rpm which is good enough to put your car into the mid 14's. If you are losing power that badly after 2500rpm then you have some serious tuning issues that can't be solved from the keyboard. Get it on a dyno with a WB and work from there.

With your parts combination your motor is all done at 5000rpm and it is peaking HP at about 4800rpm. I have a lot of experience with that cam.

cougarsc said:
Are you using the 98 style cam sensor. I believe it is installed by a different method than the SC's.

im using the 98 sensor

i may be wrong but i thought the sensor was for startup only?

can i actually a/r my timing with it ?

xr7 dave are you saying do a dyno tune or just wbo2 it to check

scotte said:
xr7 dave are you saying do a dyno tune or just wbo2 it to check
Either one. If your AF is off get Fordchip to fix it for you. I would never take something as modified as that to WOT never mind a race track without verifying AF ratio. That's the quickest way I know of to blow up all your hard work.

Back