3200 Stall convertor question????

OzzManG149

Im getting ready to purchase a stall convertor from a friend. I was wandering if a 3200 stall convertor would have any adverse effects on daily driving on my 95 SC?

why would you want to be daily driving with such a high stall even for racing 3200 is high for a sc peak torque is around 2500 on a mostly stock sc eh?

No I would'nt recomend that.
Theres not that much to be gained by going to a higher than stock stall speed in a SC motor. Now if your motor is built up with a cam and head porting and exhaust for high RPM there would be some benefit. But if your motor is mostly stock you will be very dissapointed with a high stall speed.
When setting up an auto tranny for an SC motor think big block engine.

As a rough rule of thumb you want your converter stall speed to come in about 700 or so rpm below the engine's torque peak. The SC's torque peak is 2600 rpm (IIRC, but that's close if not exact) which would mean that a 3200 stall is 600 rpm OVER the torque peak and already well into the the decreasing side of the engines power curve.

slap that conveter in your 4.6L car and drop .5-.6 off you 1/4 mile.
I have NO adverse driving with my 3200rpm PI in my 96' 3.8L vortech car. The only time you notice it is when you take off in 1st gear, after that its like a regular converter. When my car was N/A it cut .6 off my 1/4 mile.

Parker Dean said:
As a rough rule of thumb you want your converter stall speed to come in about 700 or so rpm below the engine's torque peak. The SC's torque peak is 2600 rpm (IIRC, but that's close if not exact) which would mean that a 3200 stall is 600 rpm OVER the torque peak and already well into the the decreasing side of the engines power curve.

The amount of misinformation here is disturbing. You want your converter to stall 200-300 rpm below peak torque for maximum torque multiplication during acceleration.

Pablo94SC said:
The amount of misinformation here is disturbing. You want your converter to stall 200-300 rpm below peak torque for maximum torque multiplication during acceleration.

Other than misremembering the amount under by a few hundred RPM what else is "disturbing". Not only do I want to know for my own edification but others that read this would want to know too.

Parker Dean said:
Other than misremembering the amount under by a few hundred RPM what else is "disturbing". Not only do I want to know for my own edification but others that read this would want to know too.

Let's use your 700rpm stall for example. Someone buying a new converter from PI stalled at 18-1900 would be an almost complete waste of money. Imagine finding out you wasted an assload of cash on a TC and install only to spend more on shipping to have it restalled and then reinstalled. How is spending all that extra cash and additional time not disturbing? :confused:

I wouldn't be use a 3200 stall converter unless you have 3.55 or shorter gears. Driveability issues will surely result.
A 2600-2800 stall unit works best in most SC 3.8's
Alan

Pablo94SC said:
Let's use your 700rpm stall for example. Someone buying a new converter from PI stalled at 18-1900 would be an almost complete waste of money. Imagine finding out you wasted an assload of cash on a TC and install only to spend more on shipping to have it restalled and then reinstalled. How is spending all that extra cash and additional time not disturbing? :confused:

I was asking what you based that on since I got the 700rpm bit from Mike 38sc in this thread, and since Mike seems to be one of the more knowledgable AOD types around here I was looking for any possible countering info.

The stock converter will stall 1800-2000. There were 3 aod converters built. The lowest is the 351 only converter it stalls 1300-1500. The common converter will stall 1500-1800. The converter used in supercoupes only will stall 1800-2000. That is IF you have the factory converter from the supercoupe. They are rare to find and most rebuilders don't keep them seperated correctly. The 1500-1800 unit is often switched for the 1800-2000 unit. You can not see the difference in those units unless you open them up. Then you have to know what you're looking at to tell the difference.
Alan

Back