brake accumulator

PilotYFZ

My brake accumulator went out and i put a new one on from prioreman but all I could do was tighten it with my hands and i drove around the block and it fixed the brakes but the next day it was doing the same thing. I dont think it is leaking. What do you guys think? What did everyone tighten theirs down with. thanks.

mine is just hand tight. you don't want to torque it on too much or you could snap the part that it threads into. mine usually takes about 30 seconds to build up if it's been sitting a while. after that you should be good.

Try a strap wrench

You can try a strap wrench, but not too much force....I did a replacement with a priorman unit and it lasted only a year.......found a used working one and no more problems after 2 years.....

Just a thought....

Just wondering if you topped off the brake fluid after you pressurized the system... The old accumulator was probably full of fluid when you removed it (I know mine was), and that fluid needs to be replaced. Your pressure switch may be "triggering" because the pump is having trouble maintaining system pressure due to low fluid levels. This could also introduce some air into the system requiring you to bleed the brakes....

after i replaced it the fluid level never changed. I just checked it and the pump doesn't come on when you turn the key. How can i check the pump? whether it is electrical or the pump is bad.

Nothing special required to pressurize the system. Just switch the key on and the pump should start. If no pump it could be that the pump motor, or the pump motor relay is bad. The pump motor relay is on the passenger side on the firewall in the engine compartment. I no longer remember exactly which wires to check for power, a Search should turn up the info since that's how I did it myself a couple of years ago.

I changed my accumulator but the real problem was the ignition switch. If I jiggled the key it made connection and the pump ran. Once I changed the ignition switch no more problem.

Do a search. many problems in the braking system can give you the hard pedal and brake light.

Back